none
Project summary task RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a field that distinguish between Project summary task and summary task? I create a Master plan where I add several sub-projects to. Each project, the first level is Project sumary task and second level is a summary task which I use it as a Project top summary task in each individual file. The reason for having two top project levels is because Project summary task doesn't keep the baseline value when I add an individual project file to Master plan.  In Master plan, the problem is when I generate a report to only show top level project timeline, it will show 2 lines for each project which has the same information. I can't find a better way than filter out the Project summary task. Currently, I've been using a filter that will filter out "Baseline = NA" but it will filter out my other projects that don't have baseline as well. Is there other field that I can use to create a filter to remove Project summary task from each project in Master plan? 
    Monday, October 24, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• This still appears as unanswered so here is my solution. Insert the Project field. Turn on Autofilter. In the Project field, deselect the Master file name.

Dean Carroll
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Mimi,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

It sounds as though you created the project summary task yourself.  Try File/Options/Advanced - Display options for this project - check Show project summary task.  If my surmise is correct, then to delete the one  you created, make sure all tasks are showing, select all those under your summary and outdent them.  You can then safely delete your project  summary task.  Otherwise, deleting a summary will delete all its subtasks.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be  seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP (97-11)
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Mimi,

You are almost correct in your assumptions but not quite.  When you create a master file, the inserted projects (which contain Task Zero or the project summary task project data from the files) become individual tasks in the master file.  Since you have not saved a baseline in the master, there is no baseline data on those task rows.  If you do set a baseline in the master (and the file is linked to the source file) only the inserted project rows of data will be saved to the baseline in the master.

It sounds as if you have come up with a good workaround.  The only other method I can think of would be a VBA solution, which Rod Gill's book on VBA programming would be your best next course of action.  I highly recommend that if you have not done any VBA programming before, get a book on VBA basics at the same time you get Rod's book.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Gregg,

One minor point of clarification in one of your statements. Your second statement indicates that inserted projects 'become" individual tasks in a master. Not quite. None of the inserted project tasks, including the inserted project's Project Summary Task actually become part of the master, at least in a dynamic master. The master only contains pointers to the inserted project. The master creates it's own insertion point summary line for each subproject and that summary line is part of the master and it should contain the same data as the inserted project's Project Summary Task.

You provided a great response to Mimi's post. I just wanted to make sure the concept of what is and isn't actually part of the master was clear to her.

John

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:15 PM
  • John,

Thanks for the added info.  I have used this method of "program-style management" with Project for quite a while now - something I like to call the "Frugal Project Server".  When you insert a project, which has baseline information saved, into a master file, the baseline info of the inserted project, at the Project Summary Task, is not carried over into the master.  While I agree that the master is used as a pointer to the inserted sub-projects, the lines that make up each sub-project's summary task, in the master, is different when it comes to baseline info.  The master file at the project summary level, in essence, becomes a different file, even though the data below each summary (and to a certain extent the project summary task as well) is linked to each sub-project's source file.

Thanks Again!

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Monday, October 24, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Gregg,

You are right that the baseline data from the inserted subprojects is not carried to the master even though a user might be mislead because baseline data for all the subproject performance tasks is shown at master level. They think, "gee, I see the baseline data, why isn't it rolled up".

A similar thing applies to formatting. We get many questions wondering why subproject formatting (e.g. font color) doesn't show up when the view the master.

John

Monday, October 24, 2011 8:12 PM
  • This still appears as unanswered so here is my solution. Insert the Project field. Turn on Autofilter. In the Project field, deselect the Master file name.

Dean Carroll
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Dean,

Seem like your way is working well because each project summary task gets Master project file name. So, I can just create a filter not to show rows containing Master file name. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Mimi,

Is there a reason you can't simply set the baseline for the master? Then you wouldn't have to go through the extra steps of creating and filtering out a extra top level summary for each subproject.

John

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Mimi,

You're welcome. When you get an answer that satisfies you, you should mark it as an answer so that other people trying to help don't have to look at all the messages to learn that the question has been answered. 

Dean Carroll
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:12 PM
  • John and Mimi,

If you are in a master and set the baseline for the entire project, only the baseline dates for tasks in the master are saved. Ideally, the only tasks in the master are the subproject summary tasks. In order to set baselines for everything, you need to make sure the master is unfiltered, unsorted and fully expanded then select any column header so that the entire sheet is selected. With the sheet selected, select Project>Schedule>Set Baseline>Set Baseline>For Selected Tasks>Rollup baselines to all summary tasks.

Before doing this though, be sure to have a check in the box for the option below for all subprojects.

Options>Schedule>Calculation options for this project>Inserted projects are calculated like summary tasks

Dean Carroll
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:01 PM