none
Administrative Template Error - question

Question

• Back in Feb of this year I ask a question for help on where to place MS Office 2010 admin templates so I could control Group Policy Settings for Outlook 2010.  The following link will take you to that question/post.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/94a46026-da50-4949-b7ac-b7b5a0af5814/where-do-i-place-the-office-2010-admin-templates-on-my-domain-controller?forum=winservergen

Sometime recently, (I don't go into Group Policy Management very often) I started getting an error when I edit any policy and click on either Computer Configuration\Policies or User Configuration\Policies.  The error is the following:

Encountered an error while parsing.

Resource '$(string.Advanced_EnableSSL3FallBack)'
    referenced in attribute displayName could not be found.

File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 795,
    column 308

Can someone please tell me what is causing this and/or what I did wrong when adding the MS Office admin templates.  I need to correct this.   thank you

PS - I will be out of the office after lunch today and will not return until Monday so if I don't reply back until Monday don't think I am being unresponsive.
    Friday, July 8, 2016 4:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi; according to the error, inetres.admx is either corrupted, or it's mis-matched against its corresponding ADML file.  You'll need to get a fresh, clean copy of inetres.admx and inetres.adml to resolve the problem. 

This person experienced the same problem as you, and the fix is documented as well:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/bac54114-54d7-472b-969d-9b08f28dbba9/error-when-selecting-administrative-template-in-any-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Monday, July 11, 2016 9:39 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 5:06 PM

• What is the best way to replace the corrupted copies?  Do you have a download link to these files?
    Friday, July 8, 2016 5:09 PM
  • This page provides the download link for the IE templates you'll need.  You need to just copy them up into your Central Policy Store, overwriting the bad ones.  The templates just provide the blueprint, or foundational framework, for your GPOs.  Templates are not the actual GPOs themselves, so the replacement operation is safe to do.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40905

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Monday, July 11, 2016 9:39 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Hi Poly,

Thanks for your post.

I agree with Todd. You need copy a clean admx file to override the bad one. If you have created Central Store, you need copy it to Central Store. If not, you need copy the intact admx file to the path C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitionsof PDC in you AD.

Here is a similar thread below may be helpful to you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/90d6622f-0974-4cb6-8429-036711cf438a/cannot-enable-enterprise-mode-of-internet-explorer-11?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 11, 2016 3:16 AM
  • I have downloaded the IE templates.  I am trying to rename the corrupt inetres.admx file so I can copy in the fresh one but I keep getting a permissions error "You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file."  I am trying to get past this issue.  Hopefully I will resolve the permissions issue so I can replace the files but just in case, tell me how to get past this permissions issue.  thanks
    Monday, July 11, 2016 7:17 PM
  • I am logged on using the Domain Admin account.  I don't want to mess with the default perms any more than necessary.
    Monday, July 11, 2016 7:23 PM
  • I had to take ownership of the files in order to make these changes.  I am working on it now.  I will repost.
    Monday, July 11, 2016 7:27 PM
  • That seems to have corrected the problem.  I replaced the potentially corrupted files with fresh one's and I don't get the error longer. 

Thank you for your help with this.  I will mark this as answered later today.  I just want to make sure I don't have any other questions or problems.

Monday, July 11, 2016 7:33 PM