none
DPM to Azure Backup - Specify Online Retention Policy RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a proof of concept for my internal backups. I am already using DPM (2012 SP1 Rollup Update 8) in production to back up data. Now I'm adding in Azure backup to hopefully replace my tape backup for long term retention.

I want to have granular control of Azure data retention, and the post here:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-features-in-azure-backup-long-term-retention-offline-backup-seeding-and-more/

shows the "Specify Online Retention Policy" tab when creating a new Protection Group with lots of options. However, in my DPM, I only have a "Specify Online Protection Goals" tab which is like a watered down version, where I can only select daily or weekly synchronization and XX days of retention:

Do I need to be running DPM 2012 R2 in order to get the full feature set? Or is it something to do with the Azure Recovery Service Agent that's installed on my DPM server? It is version 2.0.9042.0.

Thanks in advance!

Friday, September 9, 2016 3:06 PM

All replies

• Bump.
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:34 PM
  • Hi,

I believe that new capability is only for DPM 2012 R2 servers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 4, 2016 9:08 PM
  • Thanks for the reply ... I guess when I upgrade to DPM 2012 R2 or 2016 I will confirm.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:35 PM