Automating Outlook profile configurations whose mailbox reside in Office365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Thanks in advance, we have our client's mailboxes being resided in Office365 & they use Outlook 2010/2013 clients on their machines to access their emails.

We have a situation were our IT manual efforts are needed to reduce on Outlook profile configurations. So, I don't know where & how to ask regarding this & as a result I am placing my question here, requesting to guide for the same.

What I need to do is to create a batch file/ps script which pulls the login information of the end-user logging into that machine & pass the same onto Outlook software depending the version of Outlook used. I have another challenge as well,i.e. username & email-address is different of all the users.

Many Thanks,

Niri

Niranjan

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

Thanks in advance, we have our client's mailboxes being resided in Office365 & they use Outlook 2010/2013 clients on their machines to access their emails.

We have a situation were our IT manual efforts are needed to reduce on Outlook profile configurations. So, I don't know where & how to ask regarding this & as a result I am placing my question here, requesting to guide for the same.

What I need to do is to create a batch file/ps script which pulls the login information of the end-user logging into that machine & pass the same onto Outlook software depending the version of Outlook used. I have another challenge as well,i.e. username & email-address is different of all the users.

Many Thanks,

Niri

Niranjan

There is no need to do that. Autodiscovery already does all that for you.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:04 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I am aware that Autodiscovery does that, but the intention is when user clicks on Outlook icon for the first time, it should just ask him for password once & then open his Outlook for him without taking the user through the configuration steps, also, we do follow to uncheck the Download shared folders during configuration.

Many Thanks,

Niranjan

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:30 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I am aware that Autodiscovery does that, but the intention is when user clicks on Outlook icon for the first time, it should just ask him for password once & then open his Outlook for him without taking the user through the configuration steps, also, we do follow to uncheck the Download shared folders during configuration.

Many Thanks,

Niranjan

An Outlook GPO perhaps then.

However, for a user logged on to the domain, there is no password prompt. There isn't much to gain to do what you are doing except maybe to ensure cached fodlers aren't cached.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Hi Andy,

This is somewhat I am doing for, can you let me know how we can use GPO??

Many Thanks,

Niranjan

Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Hi Andy,

This is somewhat I am doing for, can you let me know how we can use GPO??

Many Thanks,

Niranjan

Looks like this is the only option:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b10ba18f-0e37-4b7a-8909-c82491a04944/group-policy-to-control-shared-folder-option-for-microsoft-outlook?forum=winserverGP

Friday, September 8, 2017 7:04 PM
  • Hi Niri,

Just checked in to see if the above information shared by Andy was helpful. 

If so, could you please help mark his reply as answer so that other community members who stuck with the similar situation can more easily find the useful one?

Thanks for your understandings and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:51 AM
  • HI Yuki,

What Andy suggested was helpful but I couldn't acheive what I was looking for, so not finding a way to do that yet.

Many Thanks,

Niru

Niranjan

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:26 PM