Sound driver problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Windows 7 RC on my Asus laptop and the sound driver installed by Windows during the installation didn't work. So I went to the Asus website to get the driver. After installing it, my sound card worked fine.
    But here comes the problem: when I restart Windows, I see the "Starting Windows" screen, and then nothing, the boot animation isn't dispayed and the HDD stops loading.
    The strange thing is that I can boot several times before it crashes, and the same driver worked fine on Vista and the beta.
    Here is my config:
     -Asus A6JC laptop
     -Intel Core Duo 1.6GHz
     -1GB RAM
     -all I know about the sound card is that it is a Realtek

Any idea about what I can do, or where I can find driver that work?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• I had exactly the same problem and had to re-install.  I solved it by running the Vista Realtec 'setup.exe' in XP compatibility mode.
    • Proposed as answer by arou402 Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:45 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:49 PM

All replies

• I had a similair problem with Realtech try Realtech R15 it is and earlier version of the sound card driver and on my system a desktop  worked out fine.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:20 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem and had to re-install.  I solved it by running the Vista Realtec 'setup.exe' in XP compatibility mode.
    • Proposed as answer by arou402 Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:45 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:49 PM
    I am trying to run win7 on an ASUS A6VA .... 3,4 yrs old...

Hope it's CPU supports "XP compatibility mode"..??
    If not, it's looks like my A6VA may be smarter BUT will have to remain dumb ..... !!  :-(
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 9:45 AM
  • My reply was badly worded, I should have said 'compatibility mode', not XP mode which is totally different.  Right click the install/setup.exe or the desktop shortcut and choose the 'Compatibility' tab and run in Windows XP SP2/3.

Sorry for any confusion caused :)
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:31 PM
  • My reply was badly worded, I should have said 'compatibility mode', not XP mode which is totally different.  Right click the install/setup.exe or the desktop shortcut and choose the 'Compatibility' tab and run in Windows XP SP2/3.

Sorry for any confusion caused :)
    Hi arou402:

Understood..! No problemo and your response is much appreciated.
    So, there may be hope yet of avoiding dreaded blue screen .....
    I'll try it out and report back here.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Thank you for you help, but it turns out that the sound driver is not the problem (or at least it is not the only problem). I had the same crash and the driver wasn't installed...
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I've got exactly the same problem. And it's not the sound driver, it has got something to do with updates. I've re-installed my notebook countless times... I now use the system image function of Windows 7 before every windows update or driver install. When it won't boot the only solution is restoring an image. System resorte doesn't work, I usually get an black screen after reverting to an old system state. Yeah that's right, not even an windows image, just a black screen. I am referring to it as a BSOD, BLACK screen of death........

One curious thing: I was able to get a working system by reverting to an image ant trying again, the "two steps forward one step back" method..

So I really can't help you but I'm glad I found people that experience the same problem. This makes me think this is no hardware failure, but an incompatibility of the A6jc and Windows 7.

Another curious thing: All beta and RC versions of Windows 7 ran absolutely fine! I've even considered downgrading to RC1.... But this is only temporary as RC1 expires in june or so..

So I hope someone finds the cure, if you do: PLEASE POST! You'll help at least one person ;-)

Things to try:

- Downgrading the system BIOS. As this seems to be a boot problem this could solve the problem.
     - A newer storage controller driver. Also: boot problem -> could be related to storage controller.

I suspect it has something to do with the file rename cache or something, as it only seems to occur when an update which requests a reboot.

As requested: please post any updates...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:58 PM