Odd/Even page layout RRS feed

• Question

• I deleted one page (page 23) in a mirrored, odd/even page document. The odd/even page headers are displayed correctly except for pages 24, 25, and 26. The header shows it correctly as being either odd or even, but the page layout for these particular pages are the opposite of what they should be. How do I correct this? I should also note that I inherited this document from another firm.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:31 AM

Answers

• Place the insertion point on page 23. To display the Page Setup dialog box, click the dialog launcher button (the little arrow on the bottom right) of the Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab. Make sure that "Apply to" says "This section" and then change the margins as desired. When you are done, click OK.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 19, 2013 6:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, August 19, 2013 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:08 PM

All replies

• In what way is the page layout "opposite"? Please elaborate.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Thank you for responding Stefan!

On the odd pages - header is flush right margin, body left margin. On the even pages - header is flush left margin

The layout is the TOC (page 23) with the start of the document immediately following on page 24 (even).

The new page 23 has no header/footer, as it should. Page 24 -26 headers are positioned correctly but the text isn't. Header Section 8 on page 24 is left margin but the text or body of the document is to the right of the page, making it an odd page with an even header. Header Section 8 on page 25 is right margin with text to the the left making it an even page with an odd header. Page 26 is formatted as page 24.

I hope this explains it better. If not please let me know.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Place the insertion point on page 23. To display the Page Setup dialog box, click the dialog launcher button (the little arrow on the bottom right) of the Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab. Make sure that "Apply to" says "This section" and then change the margins as desired. When you are done, click OK.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 19, 2013 6:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, August 19, 2013 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Sorry I haven't responded. I've been trying to do as you instructed, but when I change the margins it throws off the header/footer margins for that section. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Fix one thing. everything else messes up. Will keep at it. Printed out the styles to see if I can find what's hidden and may be causing the problem.
    Monday, August 19, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Throws off the header and footer margins in what sense? If you mean that the left and right margins of headers and footers are the same as the page margin, then yes—it's by design.

What you can do is indent the text in the footer and header as needed.

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:39 PM