none
Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE) Won't Start After Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Last week I setup a new server with Small Business Server 2011 (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, Exchange Server 2010).  All was running smooth until Windows Update installed a few updates and messed up the Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE).  I am not sure of the exact update as there were many updates that appeared to run on this same night.

When I arrived the next morning Windows was displaying a message about running PSConfig to complete the upgrade.  I checked that the upgrade needed to be applied ((get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade) and then ran the upgrade command, "PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures", from the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN" directory.  After completing the upgrade and rebooting the server I noticed that the Windows Internal Database didn't start.  I checked the NeedsUpgrade command again and it appeared to be a successful upgrade.

I tried manually starting the process from services.msc and it just timed out.  I then tried starting from the command prompt and I got an error:  A service specific error occurred: 5..

The application log provides the following errors every time I attempt to start the service.  See the logs at the bottom of this message.

Here is the link to my PSCDiagnostic log, Update log, and Windows Updates log file:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4DD1102BECDF8589!118&authkey=!ACZDAgh79Xs91-w.  Link is shared via my SkyDrive account.

If you have any questions or need anything else from me please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

---

The description for Event ID 17120 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

FRunCM

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

---

The description for Event ID 17826 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

---

The description for Event ID 17182 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

---

The description for Event ID 17182 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

---

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:42 AM

Answers

• Error code 5 is access denied.

Running process monitor with access denied filter should provide immediate relief when you start the service as it will show which folders , registry or files permissions are missing.

Workaround is Windows Internal database runs under network service account. Change that to local system account and check if service start. (Although I don't recommend this approach go for process monitor approach)

Based on your suggestion, I ran process monitor and filtered for sqlserver.exe events that returned access denied.  After attempting to start the database process monitor reported access denied errors on several registry keys in the HKLM\Wow6432Node (exact key below).

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MICROSOFT##SSEE\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Np]

I opened up regedit and gave the network service account full access to [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server] (and child objects).  I then rebooted the server and everything appears to be back to normal with the Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE).

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:08 AM

Running process monitor with access denied filter should provide immediate relief when you start the service as it will show which folders , registry or files permissions are missing.

Workaround is Windows Internal database runs under network service account. Change that to local system account and check if service start. (Although I don't recommend this approach go for process monitor approach)

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:08 AM

All replies

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:08 AM

Based on your suggestion, I ran process monitor and filtered for sqlserver.exe events that returned access denied.  After attempting to start the database process monitor reported access denied errors on several registry keys in the HKLM\Wow6432Node (exact key below).

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MICROSOFT##SSEE\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Np]

I opened up regedit and gave the network service account full access to [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server] (and child objects).  I then rebooted the server and everything appears to be back to normal with the Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE).

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:08 AM
  • Great !! Thanks for your time and posting back the steps. Cheers!!
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:22 AM
  • I found that a GPO needs to be set for the domain account NT Service\All Services

Once you change the GPO giving this account the "Log on as a service" right the Windows Internal Database will run correctly. 

Access this GPO by going to the following: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > User Right Assignment > Log on as a service <Add the NT Service\All Services account>

If you are unable to change this setting on the local 2012 machine, you will need to change the default domain policy through the Group Policy Management Console.

I hope this helps someone else as I wasted about 4 hours on this and no valid error messages were given to lead me to this. 

Friday, November 15, 2013 11:41 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion to change the account to local system, it fixed a problem I was having with SQL Backup Exec account.
    Monday, December 28, 2015 11:50 PM
  • Thank you for your notes. I ran into the same issue with installing Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services, and your explaination helped us resolve the problem. From the Domain Controller updated the Group Policy the server was in by adding the NT Service\All Services.

Oddly the same day we ran into a simular issue with a SQL Server install that was hardended via GPO (differrent system than above). We also added the NT Service\All Services, plus these: LOCAL SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE, & Additional SQL Services.

GPO Location in Server 2008 R2: Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\
    - > Open - Log on as a service
    - > Add - NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES

• Edited by LinksDev1 Monday, April 18, 2016 6:49 PM Re-worded.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 6:45 PM