none
Difference between delete aged discovery data and delete inactive client discovery data maintenance tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I'm setting up a new CM12 site and one issue with our current CM2007 site that I'm trying to minimise in this new site is the discovery and retention of dead clients.

I think the new options as part of the system and group discoveries to only discover systems that have logged on to a domain/updated their password in a set period will resolve the majority of the problems we have here. I've set both of these to 30 days.

Management are keen to be pretty aggressive with the retention period so we're looking to only keep computers in the database that have heartbeated within 30 days. I've set the heartbeat discovery to 8 hours and now I'm looking at the maintenance tasks.

The task I think I need to configure is 'delete inactive client discovery data'. I've set this to 30 days and to run every Saturday. If I look at the 'delete aged discovery data' task it's set to 90 days every Saturday. How will that affect things? Do I need to make both tasks match?

P.S. Thoughts on the retention period...is 30 days too aggressive? My original design was 60 days.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• You want to configure Delete Inactive, that one will remove the records from the database. I normally do not use 30 days as I consider that to be to aggresive - but it really depends on the organization. How have you configured the Active client settings in the Monitoring workspace (Client Health)?

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

• Marked as answer by Daniel Corkill Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:45 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Those settings are default:

Client policy requests during the following days: 7

Heartbeat discovery during the following days: 7

Hardware inventory during the following days: 7

Software inventory during the following days: 7

Status messages during the following days:

Retain client status history for: 31 days

Do these settings contribute to a client being marked as inactive, or is it just the heartbeat? Should these settings be adjusted?

I'm probably going to change the delete inactive clients task from 30 days to 60 days.

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:14 AM
  • I usually change those values to 14 or 28, but it all depends on when you consider a computer to be inactive. It's very different from company to company.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Retention period mainly depends upon the environment in which you are working.

As far as the difference between 'delete inactive client discovery data' & 'delete aged discovery data'  is concerned, both these tasks are almost similar. Refer below description to understand these two tasks

Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data - When this task operates, Config Mgr evaluates only the discovery data for resources that are SCCM clients.

Delete Aged Discovery Data - When this task operates, Config Mgr evaluates ALL discovered resources. 

The only thing that you need to take care is that you should configure this task schedule to run at an interval greater than the Heartbeat Discovery schedule which I think you obviously done that.

Cheers | Navdeep Sidhu

Friday, March 22, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Does the client have to miss all those settings to be marked as inactive or just one of them? For example, Using the default settings of 7 days for active clients, if the client sent a hardware inventory 6 days ago but did not send a software inventory in the last 21 days. Would the client be marked inactive?

• Edited by DocDavid Friday, February 21, 2014 3:48 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Ok, so if Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data is disabled, but you still have Delete Aged Discovery Data set to say 90 days it will also delete Inactive Clients entries from the database after 90 days, correct?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Correct.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:18 AM
  • And what about the objects, that are still present in Active Directory (so they may be discoverable) but are marked as Inactive clients? Is it not like that, that their Discovery Data will not be aged (let's say AD system discovery found it in the database yesterday) even though they may be inactive for over 90 days already?
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:34 AM
  • Yes, that's also true. There are many factors involved in the entire process, but AD discovery might still update the resource. You can configure AD system discovery to not discover resources that did not change their computer password within x days or did not login for y days.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Is there any reference which would describe in the details both tasks? Like what falls into the scope and what is the definition of Aged Discovery Data and so on? Maybe a SQL query, that's used in both cases? The only information I found was this one:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e555d7e3-3681-440a-82d0-319d2b4bdd08#BKMK_PlanMaintenanceTasks

But it doesn't really contain any deep insight into the process

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:19 AM
  •     Another thing worth mentioning are the following options under Active Directory System Discovery tab:

Only discover computers that have logged on to a domain in a given period of time

Only discover computers that have updated their computer account password in a given period of time

Which interfere with Maintenance Tasks settings. For example - if you enable values above and set them to 90 days discovery will not work for machines, that didn't login to the domain/change account pwd for last 90 days. According to what was said over here - then you will not have new AD data discovered for them every time the discovery is ran. Otherwise they will get rediscovered and thus not deleted with Delete Aged Discovery Data even though it will be set to 90 days (cause Discovery data will be "refreshed") if I'm taking it right

Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:00 PM
  • I do have question about this and more related to "Delete Aged Discovery Data".  I've got following configured in my environment for AD Discovery  (Development environment)

do not discover machine not logged on for 80 days | do not discover machines not changed password for 80 days.

if I run the query select * from v_r_system (nolock) where datediff("dd", last_logon_date0, getdate()) > 80

it returns about 600 devices. 

The task "Delete Aged Discovery Data" is also configured to remove anything that has not been discovered in last 80 days.   When this task run I would expect that the 600 devices should be removed from the db, however it only removed 1 device ???

question I have

do you know which other criteria is taken into consideration for this to work.  I'm currently using SQL Profiler to determine which StoredProcedure/Function is used to remove these devices.

this is my development environment I only have 2-3 clients all the other devices are just discovered with no SCCM Client installed.

do the devices have to be discovered as part of AD Device discovery or is it sufficient that they get discovered through AD Group membership, in our environment AD Device discovery will not work as we don't have WINS/ DDNS enabled.

thx for any help.

Monday, May 19, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Is there a best practice on how to configure these settings ? (Delete Aged Discovery Data, Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data, Clear Install Flag and Heartbeat Discovery)

I have around 53 clients where it in the admin console shows no client installed, but can see the Client version (5.00.7804.1600)

Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Is there a best practice on how to configure these settings ? (Delete Aged Discovery Data, Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data, Clear Install Flag and Heartbeat Discovery)

I have around 53 clients where it in the admin console shows no client installed, but can see the Client version (5.00.7804.1600)

Delete Aged Discovery Data is enabled in my SCCM environment, set to 60 days, Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data is also enabled and set to 60 days.

Heartbeat discovery is enabled and set to run every 2nd day, Clear Install Flag is enabled and Client Rediscovery period is set to 21 days.

Will it help anything to lower the client rediscovery period under the Clear Install Flag task ?

Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:57 PM
  •  I recently came across this thread so I thought I would throw my explanation into the mix.

Both Delete Aged Discovery Data and Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data delete the object (DDR) from the SCCM database. The difference between the two is Delete Aged Discovery Data deletes the DDR based strictly on the results from Discovery methods (Agent Time UTC) e.g. heartbeat discovery, network discovery, and all of the Active Directory Domain Services discovery methods (System, User, and Group). While the Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data deletes the DDR based on the 5 things that keeps a client Active or Inactive which are the Client Status Settings Properties:

• Client policy requests
    • Heartbeat discovery
    • Hardware inventory
    • Software inventory
    • Status messages

If any of the 5 Client Status settings (shown above) check-in within the days set in the Maintenance Task, the client will remain Active and therefore never be deleted from the SCCM database.

Monday, May 9, 2016 4:51 PM