Icons & Screensaver don't function correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I'm now running 7RC but noticed this problem in 7beta too.  Whenever starting or re-logging on some but not all of the icons are shuffled.  So far nothing I do seems to correct this other than an icon saver program.  Also, while the screen saver and display shutdown worked when I first loaded win 7 apparently something I loaded stopped both from functioning.  I'm suspecting Desktop Sidebar may be the culprit.  Unfortunately I use this program extensively and none of the desktop gadgets come close to the options and functionality of Desktop Sidebar.  Video drivers are that latest available for my NVidia card.

• Edited by ckumark Friday, June 26, 2009 7:32 PM Fixing thread title bug
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:35 AM

Answers

• Ha ha...found it, at least as far as screensaver.  It's a similar problem to Microsoft wireless mouse issues but is also a problem with wireless Logitech mouse!
    • Marked as answer by Gravitator Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:19 PM

All replies

• Gravitator,

I've never heard of this problem happening on an ordinary home install of Windows 7 (i.e. no network users) which leads me to believe that it must be your Desktop Sidebar program which is causing it. Have you tried looking in Microsoft's online gadget repository for more gadgets?
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:08 PM
  • I didn't mention this computer is networked to a domain but it shouldn't be a policy issue as all the other computers (XP & 2000) are fine.  Why do you mention networking?

I have gone through all the gadgets I could find but so far none do as good a job as Desktop Sidebar plus I just like sidebar tucked on the side of my second monitor.

Thanks
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 3:30 PM
  • You say you are in a domain.

Are you using a roaming profile?

Is folder redirection being used?  If so, which folders?

Are the specific icons in question in the Public (All Users) desktop or in yours?

These questions all have a bearing on what you see on your desktop.  Vista and newer use a completely different folder structure for the user profile.  When an existing, XP or older profile is detected, such as when a roaming profile is used, Windows copies to a new profile, naming it "User".V2.  From this point on, the user has a different profile on Vista and higher than on XP or older.

Some of this duplication can be eliminated using folder redirection.  This allows both profiles to use the same folders for things such as My Documents.  Even the desktop could be redirected.  The problem with redirection is that because each OS is treating the folder a little differently, inconsistancies can happen.

All this might help explain what you are seeing, and show you where to look.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Yes, a domain.

Not a roaming profile.

Folder redirection for My Documents only.  Desktop is local.

No, while there are some icons in the public desktop they're not a problem just some of the icons in the user desktop.

You have some interesting thoughts which I will follow up on.

As a note, the icons in question (about 6) don't scatter upon login but show up in the same (but wrong) location no matter how I try to correct them.  Even if I manually put them in the correct spots the next login they're right back where they want to be.

Thanks for your ideas.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Ha ha...found it, at least as far as screensaver.  It's a similar problem to Microsoft wireless mouse issues but is also a problem with wireless Logitech mouse!
    • Marked as answer by Gravitator Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:19 PM