none
Group Policy Errors

Question

• Hello

I have an installation of Server 2012R2 as my DC. I am trying to setup GP for users to provide settings for IE10/11. I am not finding all of the options and I keep receiving an error about the admx file.

An error has occurred while collecting data for Administrative Templates.

The following errors were encountered: 
    Resource '$(string.VerMgmtAuditModeEnable)' referenced in attribute displayName could
     not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 1495, column 249 

I downloaded the file from MS and tried copying it to that directory in an elevated command prompt and it says I dont have permission to do that. I looked and it seems that everything is only read/execute with no modify ability. So I was going to try creating a central store on SYSVOL per a suggestion on another forum, but I cant create a folder in SYSVOL\Policies because only the SYSTEM has modify rights. 

I am logged in as a Domain Admin user. How am I supposed to fix my GP issues if I dont have the "right" to do it?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>but I cant create a folder in SYSVOL\Policies because only the SYSTEM has modify rights. 

To create central store for admx files, you don't need to create a new folder and you just need to copy the PolicyDenifitions folder to the location.

>>I looked and it seems that everything is only read/execute with no modify ability.

You can try to take ownership of both inetres.admx and inetres.adml files, delete the files, and then replace them with healthy ones. Locally, the location for inetres.admx is %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions, and the location for inetres.adml is %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\[MUIculture] (for example, the U.S. English ADMX language specific file will be stored in %systemroot%\policyDefinitions\en-us)

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, December 26, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Hello

I have an installation of Server 2012R2 as my DC. I am trying to setup GP for users to provide settings for IE10/11. I am not finding all of the options and I keep receiving an error about the admx file.

Resource '$(string.VerMgmtAuditModeEnable)' referenced in attribute displayName could
     not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 1495, column 249 

I downloaded the file from MS and tried copying it to that directory in an elevated command prompt and it says I dont have permission to do that. I looked and it seems that everything is only read/execute with no modify ability. So I was going to try creating a central store on SYSVOL per a suggestion on another forum, but I cant create a folder in SYSVOL\Policies because only the SYSTEM has modify rights. 

I am logged in as a Domain Admin user. How am I supposed to fix my GP issues if I dont have the "right" to do it?

Thank you in advance

please refer to: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bac54114-54d7-472b-969d-9b08f28dbba9/error-when-selecting-administrative-template-in-any-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, December 26, 2014 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>but I cant create a folder in SYSVOL\Policies because only the SYSTEM has modify rights. 

To create central store for admx files, you don't need to create a new folder and you just need to copy the PolicyDenifitions folder to the location.

>>I looked and it seems that everything is only read/execute with no modify ability.

You can try to take ownership of both inetres.admx and inetres.adml files, delete the files, and then replace them with healthy ones. Locally, the location for inetres.admx is %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions, and the location for inetres.adml is %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\[MUIculture] (for example, the U.S. English ADMX language specific file will be stored in %systemroot%\policyDefinitions\en-us)

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, December 26, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Hello

Thank you in advance

please refer to: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bac54114-54d7-472b-969d-9b08f28dbba9/error-when-selecting-administrative-template-in-any-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, December 26, 2014 7:43 AM