none
Offline project keeps telling us we have new updates even though we say close and apply (Server 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2010 with Project Pro 2010.  We have people that work tasks in My Work section and submit them for approval.  This occurs throughout the day on Friday AFTER we have opened the project in project pro and said "work offline".  In other words, they update tasks and send them for approval after we have asked that the project be "workable" offline.  We then work on the project with other updates to tasks, etc., over the weekend.  When we come back to the office, we open the local cache copy.  It tells us (which you would expect) that we have tasks that have "updates pending....do we want to close the project and accept them?"  We of course say yes.  Then, the PWA opens and we approve the task updates.  Then, when we open the project again in pro, after we have accepted the updates online, it tells us "...xx updates have been accepted for this project.  Would you like to close the project and apply these updates?"  We say yes.  However, no matter how many times we tell it yes, it always tells us the same thing over and over.   Are we doing something wrong in the proecess?  We have been following Microsoft documented steps in working offline but the system keeps telling us that we need to close the project and apply the updates.  Help anyone?

Cletus51

Monday, April 1, 2013 9:49 PM

Answers

• I think we found the best way to do this.  When we connect back to project server after the weekend work, we say NO when it asks us if we want to apply the updates that have been made to project server for the project while we were connected.  We then let the offline project pro sync all updates from project pro.  Then, we go to File, select Check for Updates and it of course then sees the updates from the task updates that were applied to server while we were connected.  We say YES; do the updates at this point and just follow the prompts to make sure we all the updates to apply before we close, etc.  This seems to be the most clean method of doing this and, so far, works. 

Cletus51

• Marked as answer by Portfoliodude Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:43 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:43 PM

All replies

• I prefer to check in the project before Approve / Reject task updates from user to avoid "skipped for optimization".

You will also see skipped for optimization for updates if the update actually gets applied as part of a check-in job - so the skipped job may not be obviously a duplicate - but part of the check-in process will apply any pending updates.

Are you still seeing the updates in approval center?

Perform check in / clean the cache from the project pro. Later check the status.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:33 PM
  • Thanks.   Question...  how do I check in the project when I come back from the weekend?  Do I just say "No" I don't want to apply the updates and check it in?  Remember that I have updates from the offline copy that I want to make sure get applied....  are you saying we should connect to the server, say no to the task updates that people did online while I was out of office, then sync to the server and then check it in and then apply the task updates that were applied while I was out of office?  Confused on this; would you be so kind to give me a 1, 2, 3 step...don't need much info; just the steps...?

Cletus51

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:39 PM
  • See....this is what I get after I accept the updates from those that updated tasks and have come back in again trying to get the project to open.  No matter how many times I say yes, it always tells me I need to do this.  What am I doing wrong?  If I say no, I don't see the updates from offline.

Cletus51

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:42 PM
  • I think we found the best way to do this.  When we connect back to project server after the weekend work, we say NO when it asks us if we want to apply the updates that have been made to project server for the project while we were connected.  We then let the offline project pro sync all updates from project pro.  Then, we go to File, select Check for Updates and it of course then sees the updates from the task updates that were applied to server while we were connected.  We say YES; do the updates at this point and just follow the prompts to make sure we all the updates to apply before we close, etc.  This seems to be the most clean method of doing this and, so far, works. 

Cletus51

• Marked as answer by Portfoliodude Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:43 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:43 PM