SyncWindowSetting following an Exchange Online migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

following an Exchange Online migration we configured a GPO to limit Outlook cached mode to 3 months "Cached Exchange Mode Sync Settings"; at this point, we would like to lift the restriction without having remote sites exhausting their bandwidth.

I assumed Outlook was going to use the SyncWindowSetting (with a one time GPP) under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Cached Mode" and leave users free to use the slider again, but apparently the setting is stored somewhere else. As soon as we remove the GPO the slider goes up to "all" (if configured before the migration) or "12 months" as described in the GPO setting: "If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Outlook synchronizes the last 12 months of email messages to users' computers".

We have a case open but it's taking a long time; any hints/ideas?

Thanks,

Simone

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, September 30, 2019 5:34 AM
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Simone,

Since you've already opened a case, could I know which steps have you tried so far?

Do you mean when you remove the GPO limitation, offline settings changes incorrectly? If possible, you can also share a screenshot here for better understanding.

I tried to test this on my side:

1. After enabling "Cached Exchange Mode Sync Settings" to 3 Month, client shows as follows:

2. Then I disable the policy, restart Outlook. I have 2 exchange account. One offline settings is 3 month and another is 6 month.

It become the original offline settings before GPO applied for both accounts.

So, when you disable the GPO, offline settings seems back to the original setting.

If you want to lift the restriction, you can also change the GPO setting to a longer time.

Besides, SyncWindowSetting registry works same as the GPO "Cached Exchange Mode Sync Settings" policy. They are same. If you disable the GPO policy, the SyncWindowSetting registry will also disappear.

If I've misunderstood anything, please feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, September 30, 2019 5:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:04 AM
    Monday, September 30, 2019 5:32 AM
  • Hi Simone,

Any updates with this issue? Please feel free to post back if there are any updates.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, October 4, 2019 6:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, October 4, 2019 6:49 AM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Hi Simone,

I'm writing to see if you've found a fix for this issue?

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:44 AM