Active Alerts not updating RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with alerts in SCE 2010 since many errors, among them very important ones related to low free disk space on a few computers, do not show up in Active Alerts in Monitoring section nor in Computers Overview in Computers section, but they show up in Monitoring Overview in Monitoring section.

Is there any way to "refresh" active alerts thus achiving that the same errors and alerts show up in both sections, Computers and Monitoring. Regular refresh with F5 does not solve this of course.

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by BoxiKG Monday, May 28, 2012 9:35 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 9:34 AM

Answers

• BoxiKG,

it looks to me that you are hitting a common situation that I've seen with the Server OS MP. When you mention that you are not getting alerts, did you check what was the status of the monitor prior to getting the alert?

Remember that monitors only will alert based on health state change, so when something changes from "healthy" to either "warning" or "critical" you will get an alert. Otherwise, state will change but no alert wil be sent.

What I would do is for this specific monitor I would disable the warning (by putting values that will never trigger alerts) and only use the critical state, so you get the alerts that you want.

Please let me know if you have any question.

Thanks,

Jose.

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:40 AM
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hello BoxiKG,

Please navigate to "Monitoring" -> "Active alerts", right click it and select "Properties", un-select all the items to let it show all alerts. Is there any alert still missing?

You can also run "Health Explorer" for the selected computer, choose "Reset Helath" in the "Health Explorer" to eliminate the "Warning/Error" status of the agent. And then check if the alert status changes.

About Health Explorer in Essentials
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422911.aspx

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:53 AM
  • I have all alerts now in active alerts view, most of them are in closed resolution state and these were not visible - I closed these alerts because most of them were network related. But still I do not see any error alert for computer having low disk free space - my client computer with Windows 7 OS. I can not believe that by default any alert is not triggered when client computers have low disk free space. Also even if alert had been closed and cause had not been solved, a new alert should have been triggered when agent reporting back to SCE server. Something is very wrong here.

• Edited by BoxiKG Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Hello,

For the low disk space alert, please refer to:

Disk Level Alert Overrides
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/systemcentermonitoring/thread/b191dc21-61d8-469c-9f24-c684f500eac2

You may need to overrride the threshold for your Windows 7 computers so the alerts could be generated as you plan.

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:26 AM
  • Default threshold levels for Windows XP/Windows 7 machines are OK for me and since I have only 450 MB of free space on E partition with 230 GB capacity error alert would be expected because both % and MB thresholds are reached for non-system partition.
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:15 AM
  • BoxiKG,

it looks to me that you are hitting a common situation that I've seen with the Server OS MP. When you mention that you are not getting alerts, did you check what was the status of the monitor prior to getting the alert?

Remember that monitors only will alert based on health state change, so when something changes from "healthy" to either "warning" or "critical" you will get an alert. Otherwise, state will change but no alert wil be sent.

What I would do is for this specific monitor I would disable the warning (by putting values that will never trigger alerts) and only use the critical state, so you get the alerts that you want.

Please let me know if you have any question.

Thanks,

Jose.

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:40 AM
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 6:44 PM