none
How to Upgrade DPM 2012 SP1 to DPM 2012 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Team,

Could you please help on how to upgrade an existing DPM 2012 SP1 to DPM 2012 R2?

The existing DPM 2012 SP1 is updated to the latest Update Roll-up 3.

I have already protection groups created.

How can we upgrade safely without losing any data?

Your support is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have been able to upgrade My DPM 2012 SP1 to DPM 2012 R2. I took a manual backup of the DPM Server and also the Database before starting the Upgrade process. I haven't lost any data but it is good to have your backups just in case something goes wrong. The process completed successfully. Here is the link i used before doing this. In addition to what the article in the link below recommends i was also forced to update my SQL Server 2008 R2 database to SP2 (SQLServer2008R2SP2-KB2630458)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj650969.aspx

One problem that i encounteredd however was updating the agent on my exchange 2010 server. I'm still working to fix the problem. All other server went smoothly. Anyone who has encountered this problem?

I hope you will find this useful in your upgrade and good luck.
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Before you begin the upgrade, be sure you have taken time to review the "Support Matrix for DPM Protection", available here:  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860400.aspx *

It's important to note that, according to this documentation, DPM no longer supports backing up server operating systems older than 2008R2.  If you have any 2003, 2003R2, or 2008 servers still in production, you won't be able to back them up with dpm after upgrading to 2012R2.

*(I noticed that the technet article claims to have been last updated tomorrow, November 1st 2013.  Interesting...)

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have been able to upgrade My DPM 2012 SP1 to DPM 2012 R2. I took a manual backup of the DPM Server and also the Database before starting the Upgrade process. I haven't lost any data but it is good to have your backups just in case something goes wrong. The process completed successfully. Here is the link i used before doing this. In addition to what the article in the link below recommends i was also forced to update my SQL Server 2008 R2 database to SP2 (SQLServer2008R2SP2-KB2630458)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj650969.aspx

One problem that i encounteredd however was updating the agent on my exchange 2010 server. I'm still working to fix the problem. All other server went smoothly. Anyone who has encountered this problem?

I hope you will find this useful in your upgrade and good luck.
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:11 AM
  • I have now fixed the problem with the agent on the Exchange Server. This is what i did:

Stopped the firewall by using an elevated cmd prompt, ran Net stop mpssvc I then installed the agent and ran Net start mpssvc.

After this everything is working perfectly. Remember that the protection data will be set into inconsistent state you have to resume backups manually again.

Good luck

• Edited by Rashid Jama Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:23 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Before you begin the upgrade, be sure you have taken time to review the "Support Matrix for DPM Protection", available here:  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860400.aspx *

It's important to note that, according to this documentation, DPM no longer supports backing up server operating systems older than 2008R2.  If you have any 2003, 2003R2, or 2008 servers still in production, you won't be able to back them up with dpm after upgrading to 2012R2.

*(I noticed that the technet article claims to have been last updated tomorrow, November 1st 2013.  Interesting...)

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:07 PM