none
UAC blocking driver installation RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install an HP printer driver on my windows 10 pro machine. The driver actually resides on the printer itself and when I plug in the printer with a USB cable, Windows asks me what to do with this CD/DVD. When I tell it to run the Autorun file, starting the install process, I immediately get an error message saying 'This app has been blocked for your protection. An administrator has blocked your from running this app.' But I my account is an administrator. I have turned off the UAC notification and SmartScreen and I have tried running this app as an administrator always with the same result. I have turned off my firewall and antivirus but no help. I have also downloaded a fresh copy of the latest driver installer from HP and it runs...and runs, for 20 minutes and then says: failed. It's supposed to be compatible with Win10.

This printer previously was installed on this machine with the same OS but I did a clean reinstall because Win 10 had become so corrupted with bad system files and many other little problems. The reinstall fixed many things but a few things like this previously running periferal can't be installed. This is a nice color laser printer I don't really want to buy a new one.

Thanks

DMS

Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi DMS,

For the error, here I would share 3 ways, follow the steps and try them:

1. Turn off smartscreen: Navigate to:

Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center, under security, find Windows SmartScreen, then turn it off;

If the driver installed successfully, make sure turn smartscreen on.

2. If the above methods didn't help, right click Start icon, choose command prompt (admin), then type the full path of the app within quotes into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.

Example:

"C:\Dell\Drivers\24T1W\R235168\Setup.exe"

3. If the above still not working, under the same command prompt, type the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then logout and choose Administrator to login, it should be no passwords needed to login by default. (or the one you have configured)

login with the built-in admin account and install the driver from there.

Once installed, open CMD with admin rights and run the command below to turn off the built-in admin account:

net user administrator /active:no

Reference:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/38480-app-has-been-blocked-your-protection-bypass-windows-10-a.html

Please note: Since this website is not hosted by Microsoft, the information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DMSchmi Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:50 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 5:48 AM

All replies

• Hi DMS,

For the error, here I would share 3 ways, follow the steps and try them:

1. Turn off smartscreen: Navigate to:

Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center, under security, find Windows SmartScreen, then turn it off;

If the driver installed successfully, make sure turn smartscreen on.

2. If the above methods didn't help, right click Start icon, choose command prompt (admin), then type the full path of the app within quotes into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.

Example:

"C:\Dell\Drivers\24T1W\R235168\Setup.exe"

3. If the above still not working, under the same command prompt, type the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then logout and choose Administrator to login, it should be no passwords needed to login by default. (or the one you have configured)

login with the built-in admin account and install the driver from there.

Once installed, open CMD with admin rights and run the command below to turn off the built-in admin account:

net user administrator /active:no

Reference:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/38480-app-has-been-blocked-your-protection-bypass-windows-10-a.html

Please note: Since this website is not hosted by Microsoft, the information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DMSchmi Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:50 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 5:48 AM
  • Thanks Michael,

The first and second ones didn't work which I still don't understand. It seems like something in Windows UAC is broken but this is a brand new installation so I don't know. But anyway, the third one worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:52 AM