none
People Search Duplicate Results

Question

• I have created a staff directory page using a people search web part. Unfortunately this is generating a handful of duplicate entries even though the query is against user department names. According to a few web results to fix this in older, standard versions of sharepoint you limit the sps3 entries in the content source options. How would I go about fixing this in SharePoint Online?

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi TomCat87,

Please search the user in people picker column to check if there is only one result returned.

If there are duplicate peoples found in people picker column, You need to remove redundant user profiles.

For more information about removing redundant user profiles, you could refer to the Jerry’s answer in the following thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/duplicate-names-found-in-directory-pull-up-for-a/f50d3f62-042c-4938-90bd-13ac8e8a14e0

Otherwise, you could try changing the query rules to remove duplicates results on the search center page.

1. Edit Search Center people results page.

2. Click the drop-down arrow in the upper-right corner of the Search Results Web Part, and then click Edit Web Part.

3. In the Search Results Web Part properties box, click Change query in the Properties for Search Results.

4. Click the Settings tab. In the Remove Duplicates section, set the value to Remove Duplicates, and then click OK.

5. Publish the page.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:00 AM
  • I've followed the steps in the other thread but this didn't help. Remove duplicates was already enabled in the search query but doesn't seem to work.

I did manage to remove some duplicates by adding the "People" refiner to the query but there are still more. All duplicates still correctly link to the users Delve profile.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Hi TomCat87,

Have you checked the results in people picker?

Please check if the people picker also display the duplicate users.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 15, 2016 12:13 PM
  • The people picker doesn't display any duplicates.

The search query is using Local People Results (System) with query text:

Department=Finance Department=Sales Department=Pre-Sales Department=Director Department=Engineering Department=HR Department=Marketing Department="IM and T" Department=Production Department=Purchasing Department=Despatch Department=Technical  Department=Spares Department=Service Department="Spares and Service" Department=Stores Department=Quality

Refiners: Content Source - People Search

Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:45 PM
  • Hi TomCat87,

For this technical issue, I suggest you create service requests to contact Office 365 support: https://portal.office.com/Support/SupportEntry.aspx.

An article about how to create service requests to contact Office 365 support for your reference:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/praveenkumar/archive/2013/07/18/how-to-create-service-requests-to-contact-office-365-support.aspx

The reason why we recommend creating a service request is you will get access to our knowledgeable support agents for help resolving technical issues.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:12 AM
  • Unfortunately our Office 365 CSP does the support and I know they don't have any staff with good Sharepoint knowledge.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:53 PM