Windows Vista Firewall and network settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've got a strange bug! When I turn automatic network identification OR file sharing off then windows firewall is turned on, and vice verse. How do I fix this? Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for sounding so dense, I realize it can be frustrating, but those symptoms are strange and I am just double-checking to see if I understand your problem correctly.

What Vista version are you running? Did you do any specific action before this started occuring? (windows updates, new hardware/drivers, new software) 

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Viceversa meaning that when you enable file and printer sharing the firewall gets turned off? Where are you seeing that the firewall is off?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Hi again,

Disabled
    firewall is equivalent with file sharing and network identification Enabled
    Enabled firewall is
    equivalent with  file sharing and network identification Disabled

It does not matter if I change the settings in the firewall settings or in the network settings, also, this is were I see it, in the settings.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Can you show us a screenshot please?

Go to run > eventvwr > and look under Windows Logs > System. Any errors there?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:13 AM
  • A screenshot of the windows logs or what? I cant see any errors.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you try to enable the windows firewall while file and printer sharing is on, what happens?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:27 PM
  • then file sharing is turned off, i already told u twice
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for sounding so dense, I realize it can be frustrating, but those symptoms are strange and I am just double-checking to see if I understand your problem correctly.

What Vista version are you running? Did you do any specific action before this started occuring? (windows updates, new hardware/drivers, new software) 

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:41 PM
  • I understand, but it is so frustrating, because always when I come to support I've already tryed the most common things and the support guy thinks I must be an idiot because of the strange bug.

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, Swedish version. I had an windows update bug, were I could not install the update, and I contacted microsoft support about it and I send them some file, dump file i think and she told me that there basically was nothing they could do. So I formated my HDD and reinstalled Vista, installed all of my hardware and drivers for them, software etc. I do not know if this bug was there before I installed everything, because I do not check all random sequence of input windows can have when I've just installed it Stick out tongue...

How I noticed it though was when read on http://bigfootnetworks.com/, I have that killer nic, and it said that for best performance I should turn off windows firewall and turn on the FNA firewall (firewall runned by the network processing unit on the killer nic). So for some reason I can't remember I went to the "network settings" and I saw the file sharing was turned on even though I had not touched it, so I turned it off. Later I noticed my firewall was turned back on... etc. Well I found that these two were INDEED VERY strangly connected. However, I am studing software engineering and I do not understand how this could have happened?! If there were some hardware fault I should notice some other odd behaivor, but I have not, also if there were hardware failur, it seems very unlikly that these two parts of the operating system would get connected.

Thanks
    /Bobby
    Friday, September 26, 2008 5:56 AM