SMTP on IIS 6.0 Badmail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a lot of new false positive on my SMTP IIS 6.0.

I´ve a lot of antispam and antivirus systems. I don´t need this badmail services working. But I need this SMTP system to deliver specific domains mails to specific folder on the server to process with java batchs.

The cuestion:

Is there any way to disable the badmail on the SMTP Virtual Server IIS 6.0?

thanks in advance.

best regards.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi trank,

>Is there any way to disable the badmail on the SMTP Virtual Server IIS 6.0?

As far as I know, badmail cannot be disabled for SMTP, it is a build-in feature, it may help administrators to diagnose the issues in the environment.

After searching for a period of time, I didn't find a working solution to do so, and it's also not recommended to do so.

If you insist on it, I would recommend you open a case with MS, so that maybe you can get a more definite answer or a solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi trank,

>Is there any way to disable the badmail on the SMTP Virtual Server IIS 6.0?

As far as I know, badmail cannot be disabled for SMTP, it is a build-in feature, it may help administrators to diagnose the issues in the environment.

After searching for a period of time, I didn't find a working solution to do so, and it's also not recommended to do so.

If you insist on it, I would recommend you open a case with MS, so that maybe you can get a more definite answer or a solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:55 AM
  • Thanks a lot Anne

It looks like there aren´t any way to disable it, I was looking for a solution on google and nothing, the SMTP IIS 6 is cataloging as badmail internal mails even, I´m thinking maybe it´s a little bug in new updates. But I prefere to disable this, I was comparing mails in badmail and goodmails and I don´t find differences. For sure must be a way to disable it, maybe a registry key or something, I hope, if it´s in the sorce code, well, then I´ll have to think in other solution to redirect mails to folders by domain or email address

Somebody knows something?

Friday, January 27, 2017 10:32 PM
  • Hi trank0,

Thanks for your feedback. Then, we'll leave this post open, so that others have any other suggestions can still post.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:18 AM
  • yes pls, thank you.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

You are welcome.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Hi Anne.

Finally I can´t find a way to disable de badmail, but I´ve discovered the problem.

For sure disable badmail would be a bad solution, maybe this is the reason why we can´t disable it, it´s a bad idea.

My mails ended at badmail folder are mails with delivery issues, then if we disable badmail, I´ll lost all the mails that wasn´t delivered, then it´s a wrong way, disable it.

In this case my issue was the following:

Firstable to understand my cuestion, I haven´t configured any VirtualSmtp servers to return message to my Exchange, all are configured to drop to a specific folder. Then all mails with problems generate a not delivery NDR messages, that finally goes to badmail folder with undelivery reason after to be in the queue for 2 days.

Then, why do I have message NDR in the queue. I have, two case:

1_. External mails aleatory falling on badmail folder: the issue was the jumps of the mail between servers, by default, SMTP server configure all VirtualSmtp servers to 15 hop count, recently I implement on my system new antispam sistems, more servers in the middle, if the message before arrive to me, pass by a lot of servers, plus my old antispam, plus my exchange server and finaly my smtp IIS 6, we find 10 or more hops at the headers of any mails, usually 12 or 13, with my new antispam servers, I achieve more than 15 hops... So I configure to 30 hops in all my VitualSmtp Servers inside the IIS 6.0, then allmost mails stop going to the badmail, because they could be delivered to the drop folder correctly.

2_. I said in previous comentaries here, I have internal mails going to badmail, well, some cases was the same that we have on external mails, to many hops in headers,  and now I have a few cases, all a successfull delivery of message... of course people with delivery notification activated, we don´t care about those mails.

Thanks Anne for your support and I hope this help to anyone.

best regards.

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:11 AM