ODBC config not detected in App-V 5.1 package RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an application that uses an access frontend which connects to the backend through an ODBC link.  Very straight forward nothing complicated about the setup.

I have captured the frontend within the app-v package along with the ODBC settings.  Everything connects up fine during sequencing however when I publish to a PC the frontend launches but it can't see the odbc connection and fails!  If I manually add this into the machine the package runs on outside of the app-v environment it connects and runs with no issues. Obviously I want it to run off the virtual odbc setting within the package.

I have expanded the package onto my sequencer for testing and the odbc connection is there and available and the application runs with no issues.  The ODBC.ini file with the appropriate configuration is in the package as is the virtual registry key.

I have also tried a PVAD installation but to no avail.

Everything the application needs to run is in the package yet the frontend cannot see the odbc setting within the virtual environment.

This is an old 4.5 package which I am moving onto our 5.1 environment.  I haven't tried the migration tool as I would like to do the package from fresh.  I hadn't anticipated this much bother as doing this in 4.5 was very easy and worked straight away.

Just on another note more often than not most of the applications I have sequenced in 5.1 take a bit of time and effort before finally getting to run properly.  Unlike 4.5/4.6 where the vast majority of applications once packaged and published just worked straight away with no issues.  This application being a classic example.  However that's a rambling for another forum!

Any help with the above issue would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stephen

• Edited by Scoop180 Monday, September 5, 2016 2:41 PM more accurate title description
    Monday, September 5, 2016 2:32 PM

Answers

• OK so I didn't get this one resolved and instead opted for a work around.  I seem to be opting for more work around's in 5.1 than I ever did in 4.6.  Most of the apps just worked there.

On Add Package I configured the deployment xml file to import the odbc reg key with the appropriate sql server and database details to the native host registry.  Rather annoying that I couldn't get it working on the virtual registry settings!

On 4.6 when sequencing an application more times than enough I took for granted that it would work which it did.  For 5.1 I'm now expecting issues and allocating an extra 2 sequencing days to work on them.

• Marked as answer by Scoop180 Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:35 PM

All replies

• When you launch odbcad32 from within the package (run cmd.exe /appvve:packageguid_packageversion or use a tool like Login ACDC 2.0) do you see the virtual ODBC connection? And is your sequence machine 32 or 64-bit? Lot of people make the mistake adding the 64-bit ODBC connection while the app is 32-bit. There is a odbcad32 in syswow64 and system32 check them both.

Btw I would never add the ODBC to the package unless you really have to, I would just add it local to the machine with a group policy preference setting so it can be changed easily without opening the package. Just that the ODBC connection is local to the system doesn't mean the entire package isn't virtual.

Monday, September 5, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Yes I can see the virtual odbc connection when I launch the application within ACDC.  Interestingly the access frontend can see the connection as well when launched in ACDC and connects up with no issues.

When I launch the published shortcut from windows the virtual environment doesn't seem to be loading properly and the access frontend cant see the odbc connection and subsequently fails.

Sequencer and target machine both running 32 bit versions of windows 7.

I have always added odbc connections to my packages which has always worked well. I would prefer not to use GP preferences.

I am tempted to add a script to the package to import the odbc connection regkey into the host machine when the package is added which would do as a work around.  I am keen however to understand what is causing this issue however.

Thanks     

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:32 PM
  • So how do you add the shortcut for your users? You run an app-v publishing server or do you use gpos or something like RES?

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:38 PM
  • We use app-v publishing servers.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:42 PM
  • OK so I didn't get this one resolved and instead opted for a work around.  I seem to be opting for more work around's in 5.1 than I ever did in 4.6.  Most of the apps just worked there.

On Add Package I configured the deployment xml file to import the odbc reg key with the appropriate sql server and database details to the native host registry.  Rather annoying that I couldn't get it working on the virtual registry settings!

On 4.6 when sequencing an application more times than enough I took for granted that it would work which it did.  For 5.1 I'm now expecting issues and allocating an extra 2 sequencing days to work on them.

• Marked as answer by Scoop180 Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:35 PM
  • When I launch the published shortcut from windows the virtual environment doesn't seem to be loading properly and the access frontend cant see the odbc connection and subsequently fails.

Does it load at all? If you open up a dosbox in the VE and start from there, foes is work?
    I've got several 5.1 packages with ODBC connections (in the VE) running without issues.

Roy Essers

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:20 PM
  • Generally ODBC works for me as well in the packages.

When I launch the application through ACDC and use launch debug and select Registry Editor I can see the odbc regkey.  When I launch the application through ACDC it works fine.

How do I launch the application from DOS in the VE?  I have been running the following command from an elevated command prompt but nothing happens.

cmd.exe /appvve:packageguid_packageversion

The access frontend is packaged up but when launched it obviously uses the locally installed version of access.  Would this be the cause of the issue because it can't see within the VE?  I thought it would have been 'sucked' into the VE one the db frontend was launched similar to a virtualised url using IE?

Thanks

Stephen

Thursday, September 15, 2016 9:20 AM