none
Im trying to manage/schedule a team with multiple projects in a master schedule RRS feed

• Question

• hi

Im trying to manage/schedule a team with multiple projects as well as one off tasks and recurring things like daily meetings. the main problem I am having is the fact that project is designed for projects rather than a continuous schedule/calendar.  Can anybody help with this or point me to software that can help?

The "team planner" view is something that I like. Is it possible to display estimated schedule vs actual like the gantt chart in the team planner?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hi. As you've discovered, Project is better suited to scheduled tasks rather than managing ongoing activities. Part of the answer to your question is the degree of control (and the purpose of that control) you need to exercise over resources' activities.

Many managers find it's not worth trying to model people's regular activities (weekly meetings, non-project work, etc.) but to have one or more long running tasks against which their time could be entered (if that's required). For project tasks, the effect is that the resources have less than 100% availability for project tasks.

I don't think the Team Planner view can be modified. If you hover over an assignment block, you can see the work status (total, remaining, actual). If you want more control over what gets displayed, you would probably be better using a view based on Resource Usage.

Graham

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Are you using resource pool to share the resources across these projects? If yes, its team planner would show all assignments and when you hover over a bar it will show you the project name also.

I just want to understand your requirement further, can you clarify what/how you want to view assignments in Team Planner?

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, really appreciate your help.

Background: Im basically a student(with little project experience) & have been hired to set up a efficient planning/scheduling procedure (to the hour). The company has grown from a few to ~40, 20 of which need to be tracked. Little planning/scheduling is currently in place. Ive only been here couple weeks and not very familiar with how things run, feeling a touch out of my depth. Some projects are huge (~year long, thousands of tasks) but most jobs are repairs (hours long).

I think MS Project Server would be my recommendation to the boss. (Im currently trialing non server)

GMcH - The boss wants to track things like admin, which is a few hours a week for some of the supervisors but is very variable (usually done in 1 block of time because they dont keep up to date on thier paperwork) Anyway to log variable recurring task or would you suggest not to? if you understand me

Sapna Shukla - What I mean with the team planner view is to see who is keeping to thier daily schedule & who is not. I imagined sort of like a baseline + tracking gantt view.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:54 PM
  • David, One of the early decisions is how you're going to capture actual work information. I can imagine you entering the hours per activity per week from paperwork submitted late. It sounds as though you only need to get a breakdown of the types of work done over time - you wouldn't need to worry about exactly how many meetings they went to on which days. In my experience, recurring tasks in MS Project are most useful when they are part of a sequence of  managed steps or they are very regular and belong to a specific set of meetings. I would use simple long running tasks for the various categories of administrative activities.

I suggest the best view for showing the actualwork vs planned is Resource usage. Baseline the project once you have entered the estimates for each assignment. Then you can show Baseline vs Actual work on a week by week basis.

Graham

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Thanks for your help Graham.

Your right currently Im getting the paperwork late or verbally, but the goal is obviously to create the project plan and schedule it as soon as the job is opened. 5-10 new jobs come in daily most of which take a few hours or days. How would you suggest I organize these? i.e should every job, even ones with a single task, be created in a new project folder and added to the master or could i add them straight to the master. currently I have a project folder for each project manager i.e "Greames Projects" with each project they are currently "managing" and have those as the subprojects in the Master Portfolio. each of the 5or6 project managers share the 20 or so floormen with little communication between them. The schedule is very dynamic and only a day or 2 can even be fully scheduled in advance. many jobs get put on hold eg waiting for parts, insurance assessments etc.

Im not quite sure why such detailed scheduling is wanted when a large part of the business comes from emergency servicing, walk in jobs, etc but thats the situation im in.

Using actual work vs planned in resource usage is perfect, thank you.

I dont quite understand using a long running task for administrative purposes. Do you mean create a task with a long duration and schedule the resources with whatever duration and whenever, however often I wish to update?

Cheers,

Dave

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:20 AM