locked
Exchange 2007 SP3 RRS feed

  • Question

  • We are in Server 2003 domain and we're using Exchange 2007 SP1 with no rollups. In a few months, we'll be upgrading to Server 2008 R2. What would be the best route to update Exchange 2007? Update Exchange 2007 to SP3 with the most recent rollup now before migrating to Server 2008? Wait for Server 2008 domain and then update Exchange 2007 SP3 with the highest rollup? What do you guys think. Thanks! -Jose
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:18 PM

Answers

All replies

  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607233(EXCHG.80).aspx

    To deploy Exchange 2007 SP3 on an Windows Server 2008-based computer, you must first install Windows Server 2008 on a computer that does not have Exchange installed, and then install Exchange 2007 SP3. We do not support the following procedures:

    • First upgrading the operating system to Windows Server 2008, and then upgrading Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2007 SP3
    • First upgrading Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2007 SP3, and then upgrading the operating system to Windows Server 2008

     

     

     

    Also check out:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623.aspx

    Exchange Server Supportability Matrix
    • Proposed as answer by stmart Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:54 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:48 PM
  • We do not have Exchange 2007 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 on the same computer.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Ok. So you are keeping 2007 installed on Windows 2003? In that case, you can apply SP3 anytime. The Domain Level isnt a factor. Check out that link I posted earlier for the support matrix:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623.aspx

    Exchange Server Supportability Matrix
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Yes, we are keeping Exchange 2007 SP1(no rollup) on Server 2003. Our main DC on our site will be upgraded to Server 2008. Do you think it is easier to keep Exchange 2007 SP1 as is and then migrate our domain to Server 2008 then update Exchange 2007 or update Exchange to SP3 FIRST and then upgrade our domain to Server 2008? Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Honestly, I dont think it matters. But, applying SP3 to Exchange would be easier to knock off now.

    Be sure to read the release notes:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607233(EXCHG.80).aspx

     

    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Monday, September 20, 2010 11:01 AM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:50 PM
  • If I leave it at Exchange 2007 SP1(no rollup) it should not break Exchange/Active Directory...right? I too don't think it matters. The only reason I would wait is that SP3 has been released a little over 2 months ago. Maybe they have yet to find any bugs on the SP3 which is why waiting after December to update our Exchange SP1 to SP3 would be better than doing it right away. Thank you Mr. "AndyD" for your quick responses!
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Sure. You could do that.  There may be some post SP3 updates by then as well!

     

    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:25 PM