none
Exchange Server 2013 Database Content Index Status = Failed

Question

• Hi

I have a Exchange 2010 SP3 Server where I have about 70 Users. I have recently rolled up a Exchange 2013 SP1, Initial configuration went fine. I am able to see both Exchange Server from the 2013 EAC. I done 2 Mailbox move which completed successfully. During the 3rd mailbox move I noticed that the batch was stuck for a while. I looked at the Event and found that All database content index was showing Failed.

I followed Microsoft recommendation and created a Contentsubmitter security group and gave the networkservice and administrator full permission. then stopped the MSExchange search service and search service host controller, deleted the index file and started the services, the mailbox content index status went from unknown to crawling and then back to failed again. The setup is a non DAG setup so I am unable to sync from another good copy. I have made sure all the services are up and running . Several restart has been carried out aswell. but nothing seem to be working.

Any thing else I can try?

Saturday, September 27, 2014 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thanks for your reply. Not sure, if anyone had similar issue, but so far below is what I was noticing

After following the MS recommended guidelines to fix the issue (http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2807668?wa=wsignin1.0), It was almost 2 hours and several restart of the server I could see that the Mailbox database went from Failed to "Active mounting" & Indexing to "unknown" status. I think what may have happened is, during the deletion of the GUID folder from the database location and restarting of all exchange services, the database itself might have gone into a dirty shutdown mode. I then carried on with the below solution

1) Dismounted the database from EAC - give it 10 to 15 minutes for the dismount status to show dismounted and not dismounting before the 2nd step

2) Once dismounted from Step 1, Stopped the "Exchange Search & Search host controller" service

3) Deleted the GUID folder again

4) Mount the database again - give it 10 to 15 minutes for the mounting status to show "mounted"

5) Restarted "Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology" Services that restarts all the other Microsoft Exchange depended services

Then I started to see my Database Index straitaway went from Crawling to Healthy status when I use the
    Get-mailboxdatabasecopystatus * from EMS & from EAC

6) Now if I try to move a mailbox from the Exc2010 database using get-moverequest cli it works fine.

So I think, if the database gone to a dirty shutdown status, which you cant tell from EAC, regardless of how many services restart, it wont work,

Funny thing is, I have up to date all updates of exchanges 2013 upto CU6 so I shouldn't have to do all these stuff around, The creating of "contentsubmitter" group should be part of AD prep during the Exchange 2013 installation, I am not sure what Microsoft is doing about this.

So Just to recap - if anyone else out there with the same issue.

1) Create "ContentSubmitters" Universal Security group in the Exchange Groups OU, give "network services" & "Administrator" account full rights to the "ContentSubmitters" group

2) Do a AD replication if necessery

3) stop "exchange search & search host controller" services, delete the GUID folder located in the mailbox database location

4) restart the above services and wait for the indexing to show from crawling to healthy - if this hasn't changed to healthy then do below

5) Dismount database

6) Delete the GUID folder

7) remount Database

8) Restart AD exchange topology services

MCITP, MCSA, MCSE,VCP - Consultant, Solution Design, Implementation

Monday, September 29, 2014 3:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your sharing. It's great to hear the good news.

The above issue usually occurs if the search platform tries to check its membership in a security group that is named "ContentSubmitters." This group is not created by the search platform or by Exchange Server 2013 and is therefore not usually present. Although the check usually fails silently, without any consequences, an exception sometimes occurs. This causes the search component to fail.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi

Can you move a mailbox using the exchange management shell rather than the Exchange Admin Center?

do you get the same result?

Can you also advise what errors are logged in event viewer? Are you able to create a new mailbox database on exchange 2013 and see if you get the same error?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Hi ,

Please have a look in to the following blog.

http://theucguy.net/fix-corrupted-content-index-catalog-of-a-mailbox-database-with-single-copy/

1.Ensure you are having enough space on the drive where you are trying to rebuild your content index for databases in exchange 2013.

2. Ensure all the services in exchange 2013 are up and running.

3.If all the services are up and running please restart all the services for exchange and check the status of content index state for the databases in exchange 2013.

4.Please have a look in to the event viewer logs .Because most of the times it will help us to go in a right direction.

Please rely me if you have any queries .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

Saturday, September 27, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply. Not sure, if anyone had similar issue, but so far below is what I was noticing

After following the MS recommended guidelines to fix the issue (http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2807668?wa=wsignin1.0), It was almost 2 hours and several restart of the server I could see that the Mailbox database went from Failed to "Active mounting" & Indexing to "unknown" status. I think what may have happened is, during the deletion of the GUID folder from the database location and restarting of all exchange services, the database itself might have gone into a dirty shutdown mode. I then carried on with the below solution

1) Dismounted the database from EAC - give it 10 to 15 minutes for the dismount status to show dismounted and not dismounting before the 2nd step

2) Once dismounted from Step 1, Stopped the "Exchange Search & Search host controller" service

3) Deleted the GUID folder again

4) Mount the database again - give it 10 to 15 minutes for the mounting status to show "mounted"

5) Restarted "Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology" Services that restarts all the other Microsoft Exchange depended services

Then I started to see my Database Index straitaway went from Crawling to Healthy status when I use the
    Get-mailboxdatabasecopystatus * from EMS & from EAC

6) Now if I try to move a mailbox from the Exc2010 database using get-moverequest cli it works fine.

So I think, if the database gone to a dirty shutdown status, which you cant tell from EAC, regardless of how many services restart, it wont work,

Funny thing is, I have up to date all updates of exchanges 2013 upto CU6 so I shouldn't have to do all these stuff around, The creating of "contentsubmitter" group should be part of AD prep during the Exchange 2013 installation, I am not sure what Microsoft is doing about this.

So Just to recap - if anyone else out there with the same issue.

1) Create "ContentSubmitters" Universal Security group in the Exchange Groups OU, give "network services" & "Administrator" account full rights to the "ContentSubmitters" group

2) Do a AD replication if necessery

3) stop "exchange search & search host controller" services, delete the GUID folder located in the mailbox database location

4) restart the above services and wait for the indexing to show from crawling to healthy - if this hasn't changed to healthy then do below

5) Dismount database

6) Delete the GUID folder

7) remount Database

8) Restart AD exchange topology services

MCITP, MCSA, MCSE,VCP - Consultant, Solution Design, Implementation

Monday, September 29, 2014 3:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your sharing. It's great to hear the good news.

The above issue usually occurs if the search platform tries to check its membership in a security group that is named "ContentSubmitters." This group is not created by the search platform or by Exchange Server 2013 and is therefore not usually present. Although the check usually fails silently, without any consequences, an exception sometimes occurs. This causes the search component to fail.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:06 AM