Upgrade Paths for Management Packs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed a custom management pack for SCOM 2007 R2 with following definitions:

<Manifest>
      <Identity>
        <ID>XXXXX.XXX.R2</ID>
        <Version>2.3.0.0</Version>
      </Identity>
    <Name>XXXXX.XXX.R2</Name>

Now I want to made a management pack (upgrade one with new features and version 3.0.0.0) for SCOM 2012 so that user upgraded his SCOM to 2012 the he does not need to uninstall the previous management pack. He just upgrade it to new one.

I am going for upgrade path because this MP creates monitoring template which inturns creates template MPs and Run As Profile (associated with Run As Accounts). All thses template MPs create dependency on the above base MP. Now if user has created many template MPs then there are so many dependencies to remove. So its better to upgrade the previously installed MP (I Think).

So first of all I want to know what care must be taken during authoring the MP for upgrade.

Again this MP has name "XXXXX.XXX.R2.mp". I want to change its name as this is not R2 MP at all. Can I do this for upgrade MP?

Third, how SCOM 2012 managed to do all the MP upgrades and restore all the settings and configurations done in its previous version. Even With notifiaction channel, assigning run as account, etc.... without uninstalling any of the stuffs.

Regards,
    Ravi

• Changed type Ravi_Raj Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:36 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please also see the following thread:

Editing MP using Authoring Console
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/3b3bd323-4497-4b25-ba95-21a60f9b97d2

Hope this can give you some hints.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:43 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Do not change anything that is marked Public and you'll be okay.  Adding new modules is fine, too.  If you need to change something that is marked Public, what I have seen other MP authors do is deprecate and disable the current module/workflow and create a new one that will become the active workflow.

HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT

Monday, February 13, 2012 3:26 AM
  • when creating an mp upgrade i've always kept the name the same and used the same key when sealing the mp. I've just updated the version number to something new. you could easily test this in your test lab if you have one.

Hope this helps!

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) President - System Center Virtual Users Group |Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you!
    my new blog om2012.wordpress.com

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please also see the following thread:

Editing MP using Authoring Console
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/3b3bd323-4497-4b25-ba95-21a60f9b97d2

Hope this can give you some hints.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Do not change anything that is marked Public and you'll be okay.  Adding new modules is fine, too.  If you need to change something that is marked Public, what I have seen other MP authors do is deprecate and disable the current module/workflow and create a new one that will become the active workflow.

HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT

Monday, February 13, 2012 3:26 AM
  • What about Name parameter of MP?

I would like to now more about my third query.

Regards,
    Ravi

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:01 AM
  • when creating an mp upgrade i've always kept the name the same and used the same key when sealing the mp. I've just updated the version number to something new. you could easily test this in your test lab if you have one.

Hope this helps!

Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) President - System Center Virtual Users Group |Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you!
    my new blog om2012.wordpress.com

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:01 PM