none
Peer Cache not working on 1806 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm facing a challenge with Peer Cache on CB 1806, my current setup is as follows.

• I have 2 Collections (Super Peers & Peer Cache client)
    • On the Super Peers collection, I added variables "SMSTSPerserveContent = True"
    • Deployed Client Settings to Super Peers collection with "Enable Config Manager client in full OS to share Content" using port 8004 & 8003.
    • Created a Boundary based on the Super Peers & Peer Cache client I.P addresses
    • Created Boundary Group for the above-mentioned Boundary & enabled "Allow Peer Download in this Boundary Group" & "During peer downloads only use peers within the same subnet"
    • Deployed small application to Super Peers collection & waited for the application to be available on the Cache.
    • Deployed same small application to Peer Cache client

However my challenge is Super Peers & Peer Cache clients are downloading the Application I deployed from the Management Point (DataTransfer.log) - Are the Peer Clients not supposed to obtain content from the Super Peers instead on MP?

System Center Config Manager Engineer - South Africa

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:53 AM

All replies

• On the Super Peers collection, I added variables "SMSTSPerserveContent = True"

This has zero effect outside of a task sequence.

Deployed Client Settings to Super Peers collection with "Enable Config Manager client in full OS to share Content" using port 8004 & 8003.

The ports configured for Peer Cache are only relevant during WinPE.

However my challenge is Super Peers & Peer Cache clients are downloading the Application I deployed from the Management Point

Content is *never* download from an MP. Clients do download many things from MPs though including policy and content location, but not content itself.

Do you have partial content download enabled?

Is the deployed Application enabled for peer sharing?

What kind of boundary are you using?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:48 PM
  • Hello Jason,

My mistake on some points I made above.

• The Content is being downloaded from a DP role/function which is installed on Primary/MP.
    • Yes, partial content download is enabled.
    • As far as I know, only Branch Cache can be enabled on an Application level & NOT Peer Cache?
    • I created IP based Boundary which covers both Super Peer & Peer Clients.

Thank you once again.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:59 PM
  • As far as I know, only Branch Cache can be enabled on an Application level & NOT Peer Cache?

Actually no, it was the same option for both but the option has been removed as of 1802 so this is irrelevant anyway.

I created IP based Boundary

What kind of boundary is this? IP Subnet or IP Address range? There is a large difference between the two and highly recommend that IP Address Range boundaries are the only boundary types ever used.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:19 PM
  • It's IP address Range which only contains/covers both Peer Cache Clients & Super Peers

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Can you upload the datatransferservice.log, contentrtansfermanager.log, appdiscovery.log and appenforce.log from a non-super peer to a file sharing service and link to it here?

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:03 AM
  • Hello,

Maybe silly but are the Super Peers and Peer Cache clients are in the same subnet?

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:53 AM
  • Hello,

Yes they are on the same Subnet.

When I look at the ContentTransferManager log, the location is "SITE" & Peer Cache client then receive Content from MP distribution point.

According to this blog HERE "CanBeSuperPeer = TRUE" is FALSE on my Super Peer/Source Machine.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:02 PM
  • Hello,

It means that your Super Peer client has not applied the policy "Enable Config Manager client in full OS to share Content". It would be better to check the Resultant Client settings in the console to verify it.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Hello,

I have confirmed Client Setting Policy has applied, see attached. The Client Settings Policy is Number 1 on the Priority list.

Also note, I have Client Setting Policy targetting the same machine but does not have "Enable Config Manager client in full OS to share Content" enable

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:54 PM
  • Given that it appears that the policy hasn't actually applied to the target "super peer" system, I suggest change the changing in the priority 1 client settings package, updating machine policy, then changing the value back to Yes, updating machine policy again and finally validating that the policy has updated. You can watch PolicyEvaluator.log and PolicyAgent.log as well to ensure that the client is downloading and applying the updated policies.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:11 PM