none
15 Hive is missing from SharePoint 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I installed SP 2016 environment  and after installation i can see 15 hive missing. Below is the screenshot for same

Can i just copy paste the 15 hive from my uat environment to prod?

We are in phase of migration.

Any other solution for this

Mark it as an answer if it helped you out. Regards Rahul Dagar

Friday, September 1, 2017 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Sharepoint 2016 there is no 15 hive.  This version uses the 16 hive.

I would not recommend copying over anything from a 15 hive machine.

Thanks

Kind regards, Kev

Friday, September 1, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi Kev,

Thanks for reply but SharePoint 2016 do have 15 hive. Below screenshot is of SharePoint 2016 which contains 15 hive.

Friday, September 1, 2017 11:15 AM
  • Was this environment an upgrade?

Kind regards, Kev

Friday, September 1, 2017 11:54 AM
  • Yes Kev

Friday, September 1, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Were both environments upgraded?  I.e. the one with and the one without the 15 hive?

Kind regards, Kev

Monday, September 4, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Yes correct

Dev environment has 15 hive

and prod doesnt have

Monday, September 4, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

By default the 15 hive should not be present. A standard installation of SharePoint Server 2016 will only create a 14 folder and a 16 folder.  If you do see a 15 folder, then it's likely that some additional software or solution put it there, and that software or solution didn't use APIs to determine the proper location to install those files to.

Are there any additional solutions or software installed on the dev environment where you see the 15 hive folder.

Regards,

SAGAR PATIL

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Whether you use the customized solutions for SharePoint 2013 in the new SharePoint 2016 environment?

If so, install the solution in the 15 CompatibilityLevel.

Reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607534(v=office.16).aspx

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 10:19 AM
  • HI Grace,

I am working on content migration from SP 2013 to SP 2016. In 2016 I installed all custom solutions in 15 compatibility level. But while testing the content database against these customization i am getting lot of compatibility related errors. One such example is :

The site definition with Id 15 is referenced in the database [WSS_Content_XXXX], but is not installed on the current farm for sites with compatibility level 15. The missing site definition may cause upgrade to fail. Please install any solution which contains the site definition and restart upgrade if necessary.

Could you please suggest on this, how should we deploy all wsp packages from SP 2013 to SP 2016.

I used below cmdlet to do so:

Install-SPSolution -Identity solutionname.wsp -GACDeployment -CompatibilityLevel {15}

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:53 AM
  • HI Rahul,

I installed SharePoint with below roles:

1. Front-end server with Dstributed Cache

2. Application with Search

There is no 15 hive folder, rather there are only 14 and 16. I want to deploy custom solutions from SP 2013 as this is a upgrade project.

I am using below cmdlet to deploy these custom solutions on SP 2016:

Install-SPSolution -Identity  solution_name.wsp -WebApplication "http://URL" -GACDeployment -CompatibilityLevel {15}

But Test-SPContentDatabase throws lot of errors such as below:

1690 Sites in database [WSS_Content_XX] have reference(s) to a missing site definition, Id = [13002], Lcid = [1044], compatibility level = [15]. 

Could you please suggest here.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:27 AM