none
How to migrate the disk based recovery points of a whole PG to a new disk? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to migrate data from one DPM disk to another but I cannot use the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 script and migrate one whole disk to another in one step since the LDM database is already way above 50% size. So I tought it would be a good idea to migrate one protection group after another, but I can't figure out how to do that.

I have tried the following:

$disk = get-dpmdisk -dpmservername dpmserver
    $pg = get-protectiongroup -dpmservername dpmserver
    $ds = $pg[0] | Get-DPMDatasource
    foreach ($mig in $ds) {MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName dpmserver -Source $mig -Destination $disk[0]}

This works for some of tha datasources in the PG, but many give the following error

Set-ProtectionGroup : Your changes cannot be applied because certain protection group properties have changed. The protection group properties could have changed due to either of the following:
                1) An auto discovery job ran and modified the properties of this protection group
                2) Another user is using DPM Administrator Console to modify the properties of this protection group (ID: 195)
    Retry the operation.
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:129 char:4
    +             Set-ProtectionGroup $mpg
    +             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-DPMProtectionGroup], DlsException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidProtectedGroupVersion,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup

I suspect that two things are happening here: The protection group gets modified by the migration script which fails some but not all subsequent migrations. Also after a datasource was migrated a post recovery point operation gets triggered, which will be canceled by the modification of the PG through the script again. The latter probably gets resolved by a CC job. As far as I know a post recover ypoint operation copies over the replica data and this gets fixed by a CC job anyway. But I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway: How can I migrate one PG at a time?

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:56 PM

Answers