none
Javascript access to local files on IE 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I provide a free, non-denominational website at tanach.us.

The site also provides a zip file for local use.  When un-zipped it provides a directory tree which is accessed through Javascript using the Sarissa framework.  On Win 7, the site operates correctly in this local mode on Firefox.  With IE 10, it crashes with the result that the Javascript-read files are of zero length.  There are no warnings of security violations, of course, but I suspect that security restrictions are the cause.  The accessed files are all down the directory tree and the URLs to the files are correct.

Currently, I advise viewers that the local files won't open under IE.  But it would be nice if there was some way to set IE 10 to work as well as Firefox.

Thanks,

Chris Kimball

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:42 PM

Answers

• SarissaLib.js is the Sarissa framework, slightly modified.

I can see a problem occur with IE11 but I haven't learned yet how to drive its Script Debugger effectively.   I think I saw an instance somewhere of  new XMLHttpRequest  without any parentheses?

They should be using console.log instead of alerts, I think.

BTW you might get better visibility for a solution to this in the MSDN forum for IE web development (or a scripting one).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 4, 2013 6:00 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Internet Options>Advanced tab, security section, check "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"

reboot for the full changes to take effect.

Rob^_^

Friday, August 2, 2013 10:40 PM
  • I had set the "Allow active content..", but not rebooted the system. 

After rebooting the system, the results were the same. Even in "Unprotected mode".

The files contain   <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8"/> tags to avoid the compatibility mode problem.  Could that be the cause of the problem?

Thanks,

Chris

The file, <www.tanach.us/Tanach.zip> can be downloaded. The Tanach.xml file in the main directory is the launcher for the system.

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:31 PM
  • No...

add IE=5 to force Quirks mode I/o 8.

for technical support open a paid support ticket at support.Microsoft.com or your MSDN/TechNet subscriptions include a number of free support tickets.

Rob^_^

Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Setting IE=5 had no effect. I called support.Microsoft.  They offered a paid service for about $250.  That's outside my budget.

A very simple demo is at <http://www.cvkimball.com/Tanach/PreviousVersions/Summary/Test.zip>.

Test.xml has 3 lines, Test.xsl.xml is one page, UtilityLib.js is about 2 pages, and SarissaLib.js is the Sarissa framework, slightly modified.  Opening Test.xml should bring up a page labeled "Destination page".  It works on Firefox 22.0 on Win 7 and Firefox and Safari 6.0.5 on Mac OSX 10.7.5.  Even with "ActiveX" and scripting enabled, the file read operations fail on IE 10.0.9200.xxxx.  After alert windows indicating failure of the 2 file reads, an error appears on the Javascript console as a reaction to having a null file read.

This problem forces my Windows OS viewers to install Firefox if they wish to use the site off-line.

Thanks,

Chris Kimball

Sunday, August 4, 2013 4:45 PM
  • SarissaLib.js is the Sarissa framework, slightly modified.

I can see a problem occur with IE11 but I haven't learned yet how to drive its Script Debugger effectively.   I think I saw an instance somewhere of  new XMLHttpRequest  without any parentheses?

They should be using console.log instead of alerts, I think.

BTW you might get better visibility for a solution to this in the MSDN forum for IE web development (or a scripting one).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 4, 2013 6:00 PM
    Answerer
  • I've replaced the former, slightly-modified SarissaLib.js with SarissaLib6.js, an UNMODIFIED version of Sarissa 0.9.9.6 in the referenced Test.zip file, <http://www.cvkimball.com/Tanach/PreviousVersions/Summary/Test.zip>. The response on IE 10 remains the same, zero loaded file length, no warnings.

The software works properly when online at the tanach.us site, even on IE 10.

Thanks,

Chris

Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:18 PM
  • I would suggest that you start your own wiki and make your content publicly available

Rob^_^

Monday, August 5, 2013 4:12 AM