ASUS P5B Deluxe -Vista Ultimate- Constantly "not responding" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.  My recent Vista ultimate install is constantly "not responding."  Programs drop out entirely, the control panel won't open, explorer fails.  This all happens intermittently.  The Raptor hard drive crunches for minutes at a time after startup, shut downs can take 3 to 4 minutes with Zero activity; a file transfer will fail after a few minutes of hard -drive activity.  I am at my wits end.  Here's my rig:

ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi Edition (Bios 1004)

Intel E6700

Corsair DDR2 - 6400 2 Gigs

Nvidia 8800 GTS

Plextor SATA DvD

Western Digital Raptor (150) SATA

This setup was put together in anticipation of vista.  It ran XP so beautifully for 2 weeks that I could cry remembering those error-free days.

I also have a corallery problem that my DVD won't boot the ultimate disc (YES it's the FULL version).  Nothing I try in the bios can get the ultimate disc to spin up to boot speed.   I recently tried booting the xp disc to erase Vista from my life and test the problem and it started fine; I loaded the f6 SATA drivers and it proceeded to tell me that the hard disc is corrupt or the hard disk controller is corrupt and should be "rolled back".  I bought a NEW SATA drive and repeated the install with the xp disk and got the same error.  So the hard disk controller is hosed!  How can I fix this?

Has anyone solved this!!!  What is up with the ICH8R drivers and VISTA!!!  Does anyone out there have a working P5B build with Vista?  Seriously!!  Sorry for the shouts, I am really frustrated.  I don't even know what other motherboard I should buy to just ditch ASUS and these problems.  Who has a working vista build with modern components?  What motherboards work!  Thanks.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hey,

I think you will have a problem either with your hard drive controller or graphics drivers

Download the latest nvidea forceware thingy. and install it

Also try plugging your hard drive into a different sata slot (your 6 stata's are controoled by two chips your intel southbridge and your jmicron chip) make sure your harddrive is in the intek one for better hardware support

if this still doesn't work update your bios (to 1004 at the moment) download asus vista drivers from the website when ever you can

//edit omg my writting sucks
    Friday, February 2, 2007 6:58 PM
  • I have a similar setup.

P5B Deluxe, 8800GTS, 2 gigs of RAM, 2 HD running RAID 1.

Vista installs just fine.  No problem so far using it for everyday activities. 

Try using the latest intel chipset drivers (download from intel.com) and nvidia forceware vista drivers 100.xx (download at nvidia.com).  Let Windows install the other drivers itself (i.e. don't use anything ASUS supplies).  If you have raid download the raid driver too from intel.com.

Monday, February 5, 2007 3:16 PM
  • You are not alone.  I had a MSI P965 Platinum motherboard that uses the same chipset as your ASUS P5B board.  I configured my system using Intel's AHCI SATA's driver, and I am experiencing the same "not responding" 80 sec pause from my WD Raptor 150.  I am also trying to find solution.  I am going to try to "revert" back to regular SATA.  I have Vista Business Upgrade, which does not allow a clean install.  Good luck.  System works perfectly with XP Pro.
    Monday, February 5, 2007 11:09 PM
  • Could not wait.  After a backup I deleted the parition and reinstalled Windows XP, then custom install of Vista Business (clean, not "upgrade" with my BIOS set for SATA in Compatible mode/IDE, which does not use Intel AHCI "iastor.sys".  Installed beautifully, a lot faster and no more "not responding", of course I don't have "NCQ", but an operational operating system was more important to me at this point.  Good Luck.
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 1:00 AM
  • hi

i have managed to install vista ultimate 64 bit clean install onto my asus p5w dh deluxe, managed to down load ati graph card software no probs have been into asus website and downloaded all the 64bit options only problem i have can't get wifi solo to work now so am having to hardwire to router to get internet.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:24 PM
  • I had a similar problem. when i first installed vista my boot time was 5 minutes. what you need to do is go to the device manager and disable all the unnecessary items in the IDE and Network section. Make sure you disable only the items you don't use. after this change my boot time is 30 seconds. i than found that my DVD drive in particular was the problem. when it was enabled the boot time was long, but when disabled it was 30 seconds. so i guess i need to get a new dvd drive.
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 9:33 PM
  • I have similar problem with Vista 64bit Ultimate and ASUS P5B Deluxe.

When booting from install DVD it just stays looping the bar in the first black screen. That is before I could give any special drivers.

- With 2x300G HD setup does not start at all.

- With 2x200G HD it shows HD. I can format HD but it gives error after selecting partition to install to.

- With 1x80G HD Vista installs fine. I can have that 200G disk as second one. 

All beta versions were working fine.

Friday, February 16, 2007 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

I've got similar problems with my Asus P5B Deluxe and Raptor (74).

I have to reinstall Vista about once every week. Boot records keeps getting corrupt. "winload.exe missing or corrupt" etc and repair from setup is never successfull. Must have reinstalled windows 20 at this time. Right now I get the message "OS missing" and in the windows setup up it looks like the partition has been formatted (100% unused space)..

I got the same boot delays as you are describing and the windows MBR/Boot sector crashes seems to come at the same time. It's working fine for days, then suddenly after a cold boot, the first windows loader screen takes forever. At the next boot, windows often can't start at all.

I've replaced the disk, MB and tested with other DIMMs.

The problem seem to appear more often when the computer is cold (!?). When I've had the window open for airing for example. I have to boot it sevral times with various problems (often failing USB) until it gets warm for a successfull boot.

Anyone else experience this temperature related issue?

Seems to be HW related but since I've replaced it I would appriciate any suggestion about the next step.

Could it be the PSU?

I will try and buy some higher quality SATA-cables, after that, I'm out of suggestions.

(Edit*) Spec:

Asus P5B Deluxe (latest bios 1226(?))

Intel Conroe 6420

Corsair Dominator DDR2 - 8500 1GB*4

Nvidia 7600GT

WD Raptor 74GB (SATA) <--- VISTA BOOT

Maxtor 250GB (SATA)

NEC 16X DVD (IDE)

Samsung 250GB (IDE)

Kind regards

Dan Berglin

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:58 AM
  • One post indicated a problem with applications not responding.  If you are using a SD memory card for ReadyBoost, try removing it.  I had the same issue and removing the SD card solved the issue.

Friday, July 4, 2008 6:08 AM
  •  Dan Berglin (MCP, MCDST, MCSA) wrote:

Hi,

I've got similar problems with my Asus P5B Deluxe and Raptor (74).

I have to reinstall Vista about once every week. Boot records keeps getting corrupt. "winload.exe missing or corrupt" etc and repair from setup is never successfull. Must have reinstalled windows 20 at this time. Right now I get the message "OS missing" and in the windows setup up it looks like the partition has been formatted (100% unused space)..

I got the same boot delays as you are describing and the windows MBR/Boot sector crashes seems to come at the same time. It's working fine for days, then suddenly after a cold boot, the first windows loader screen takes forever. At the next boot, windows often can't start at all.

I've replaced the disk, MB and tested with other DIMMs.

The problem seem to appear more often when the computer is cold (!?). When I've had the window open for airing for example. I have to boot it sevral times with various problems (often failing USB) until it gets warm for a successfull boot.

Anyone else experience this temperature related issue?

Seems to be HW related but since I've replaced it I would appriciate any suggestion about the next step.

Could it be the PSU?

I will try and buy some higher quality SATA-cables, after that, I'm out of suggestions.

(Edit*) Spec:

Asus P5B Deluxe (latest bios 1226(?))

Intel Conroe 6420

Corsair Dominator DDR2 - 8500 1GB*4

Nvidia 7600GT

WD Raptor 74GB (SATA) <--- VISTA BOOT

Maxtor 250GB (SATA)

NEC 16X DVD (IDE)

Samsung 250GB (IDE)

Kind regards

Dan Berglin

This issue was solved by replacing the PSU.

I guess it could be a good idea to try replacing the PSU when:

• The system does'nt even boot into BIOS every time after a cold boot
    • The PSU makes high pitch noice, especially when cold
    • The system is generally slow and unstable with HDD write errors, even after RAM has been replaced/reconfigured

Friday, July 4, 2008 9:27 AM