Problem creating a named set using the selector and a filter RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I attempt to create a named set using the selector and a filter, not all the eligible hierarchy members are displayed when creating the filter.

I have 6 territories and I want to define a named set with all the base customers that belong to each territory using the selector and a filter. I was able to successfully create the 1st named set called RS Territory 1. When I repeat the process to define a named set for Territory 2, Territory 2 is not shown.

I have posted a Word document to SkyDrive that shows the steps I followed and screen shots of what I'm shown.

http://cid-b4bea7db676d1faa.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/MSDN%20Forum%20Issues/Issues%20Creating%20a%20Named%20Set.docx

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:08 PM

All replies

• A description of how the "Customers Customer Territory Base" hierarchy is built might help.  I see there are members called "Territory 1" through "Territory 6", but I don't see any information about the attribute of "Territory Name".  Are you confident that attribute also has territories one through six defined in the cube?

I'm also a little curious as to the end goal of these sets.  Just in looking at the levels defined here, it would appear each customer is already group into a territory.  What will the named set of customers in that territory provide that couldn't be accomplished by choosing the decendants or children of a territory?

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:31 PM
  • What version of ProClarity Professional are you using?  I ran through a couple of scenarios on my machine with ProClarity 6.3.2214.168 and could not replicate the problem.  There may be an entry in the query log that gets generated when you click on the Choose Values button that might shed some light on the problem.  I think the file is just called "query.log".  I don't recall exactly where it is supposed to be (perhaps under the Application Data directory for your userid).  If you have PAS installed on the same machine though, you won't find the log file because they turn it off for PAS.

Selector is a great product but there are some Named Sets that can be built faster and more effeciently if you know MDX.  Perhaps writing it in MDX would work best in this case.  If you are not comfortable writing it yourself, I would be more than happy to help.  I would just need to see the screen shot from the main Selecter screen.

Jason

BTG Services

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Thanks for the response Ben.

The Customer hierarchy looks like this:

All Customer Territory

• Segment 1
      • Territory 1
        • Base Customer 1
          • Customer 11
          • Custoemr 12
          •  
          • Customer 1n
        • Base Customer 2
          • Customer 21
          • Customer 22
          •  
          • Customer 2n
        •  
        • Base Customer n
      • Territory 2 (same structure as Territory 1)
      • Territory 3 (same structure as Territory 1)
      • Territory 4 (same structure as Territory 1)
      • Territory 5 (same structure as Territory 1)
      • Territory 6 (same structure as Territory 1)
    • Segment 2
      • Territory L (same structure as Territory 1)
      • Territory O (same structure as Territory 1)

I agree that the same results can be obtained by choosing descendants and/or children of a territory. The business user is still learning ProClarity and experimenting with the various features. If I understand right, the intent of sets is not to duplicate groups already present in a hierarchy, but to provide a means for creating unique groupings such as subsets within levels of a hierarchy.

This point aside, it still looks like what the user was trying to accomplish should be possible. I can' duplicate this filter selection issue in Adventure Works, but it would be nice to explain why the business user is experiencing this behavior.

Do you know of any issues that might be caused by cube property settings, or the presence of null values? The hierarchy sure seems to function fine when utilized in a vanilla manner in reports.

Thanks for your help.

Karl Lacher

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:35 PM
  • In the cube design, what are the attributes that are setup for the customer hierarchy?  That particular feature in Selector isn't searching for customer member names, but for attributes attached to the customer hierarchy.  We need to start by being sure that is setup to give the results that are expected.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:08 AM
  • The XML for the Customer dimension is on Skydrive at

http://cid-b4bea7db676d1faa.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/MSDN%20Forum%20Issues

Here is the XML for the hierarchy:

<Hierarchy dwdBig Smileesign-time-name="24e54a4d-f105-4d20-b0df-0052eab688e2">
          <ID>Hierarchy 4 1</ID>
          <Name>Customer Territory Base</Name>
          <AllMemberName>All Customer Territory</AllMemberName>
          <Levels>
            <Level dwdBig Smileesign-time-name="945fdd0b-1cf3-4abb-9502-654e48a2001e">
              <ID>Territory Group</ID>
              <Name>Territory Group</Name>
              <SourceAttributeID>Territory Group</SourceAttributeID>
            </Level>
            <Level dwdBig Smileesign-time-name="704a6fba-72c8-4b9b-9c75-1f8736b72f94">
              <ID>Territory Name</ID>
              <Name>Territory</Name>
              <SourceAttributeID>Territory Name</SourceAttributeID>
            </Level>
            <Level dwdBig Smileesign-time-name="7e411ab2-2488-4a9f-93aa-b00842813f2a">
              <ID>Base Customer Code Name Order</ID>
              <Name>Base Customer</Name>
              <SourceAttributeID>Base Customer Code Name Order</SourceAttributeID>
            </Level>
            <Level dwdBig Smileesign-time-name="23376062-14c3-46a0-b977-87874d14a901">
              <ID>Ship To Code Name Order</ID>
              <Name>Customer</Name>
              <SourceAttributeID>Ship To Code Name Order</SourceAttributeID>
            </Level>
          </Levels>
        </Hierarchy>

Base Customer Code Name Order is using a key field that is derived in the cube. It is a combination of the Base Customer Code and the Base Customer Name.

Friday, August 22, 2008 4:07 AM
  • So I think the question is, are you confident that the "Territory Name" attribute that has a relationship with the Base Customer attribute contains all the values you are expecting?  It appears there is a Territory attribute and a Territory Name attribute, so are you confident the Territory Name attribute contains the values for all of the territories you're expecting to see?

I also tried to reproduce this in AdWorks, but could not.  If you think you've got a product issue, I'd suggest opening a case so we can test with your data and see if we can reproduce.

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Ben, can you please provide directions on how to open a case?

Thanks.

Karl

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Sure.  You may either call 1.800.Microsoft or open a case online at http://support.microsoft.com/selectindex/?target=assistance.

Let us know if you have questions.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:44 PM