MSI utility and Client Cache RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how the client cache behaves with the MSI utility?

e.g.

I have a 2Gb cache that currently contains 1.9Gb of sequences deployed in stand alone mode

I try to install an new MSI for a 400Mb sequence...

In streamed mode it would push out the least frequently used applications from the cache to make space

In stand alone mode what does it do:

a) MSI install fails with an Out of Space error

b) Extends the cache if there is disk space to do so

c) Pushes out some older application and installs

- In this case does that either break the older application OR cause MSI repair to re-cache it when next lauched

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:32 PM

Answers

• MSI deployed apps check for disk space in cache before installing as they couldn't push out the old apps as there wouldn't be a guaranteed way to get them back and could present lots of problems.

So the answer would be A)MSI install fails, but I don't recall the error.

mattmcdermott

Friday, March 14, 2008 3:32 PM

All replies

• MSI deployed apps check for disk space in cache before installing as they couldn't push out the old apps as there wouldn't be a guaranteed way to get them back and could present lots of problems.

So the answer would be A)MSI install fails, but I don't recall the error.

mattmcdermott

Friday, March 14, 2008 3:32 PM
  •  

"In streamed mode it would push out the least frequently used applications from the cache to make space"

Just to clarify, it would push out "blocks" of data, not an entire application. In fact the blocks could come from little used parts of multiple applications. 4.5 will give you the option to push out at the application level.

Matt answered your actual question :-)

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:28 PM