How to resume my Vista to 1024X768? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a big problem with the boot up resolution in Vista.

I am using ATi Catalyst with 1024x768.

After I changed the display resolution to 1280x720, due to my Monitor does not support this 1280x720 resolution, I can't see anything on the monitor anymore, even rebooting the Computer.

How can I re-setup the boot up resolution to 1024x768?

Thanks in advance for your kind advise.

Eric Poey

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:29 AM

Answers

• Eric

Press the power button to start the computer.

Immediately start tapping the 'F8' key until you see the Safe Boot screen.

Use the Arrow Keys to select the 'Enable low-resolution video (640x480)' option.

Press ENTER.

After Vista starts, go into the display settings again and reset the screen resolution to one that is supported.

In the Display Settings, click the Advanced Settings button. On the advanced screen, click the 'List Modes' button and it will show a list of all the display resolutions that are supported by the installed video card.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:25 PM

All replies

• Eric

Press the power button to start the computer.

Immediately start tapping the 'F8' key until you see the Safe Boot screen.

Use the Arrow Keys to select the 'Enable low-resolution video (640x480)' option.

Press ENTER.

After Vista starts, go into the display settings again and reset the screen resolution to one that is supported.

In the Display Settings, click the Advanced Settings button. On the advanced screen, click the 'List Modes' button and it will show a list of all the display resolutions that are supported by the installed video card.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your advice.

I have tried the steps, but it did not resumed to 1024x768. I tried lower resolutions too, but not resuming.

I wonder whether is the Catalyst (ATI) software or driver taking over the boot up resolution from VISTA during normal boot-up. I tried uninstalling Catalyst, but nor successfull...

I wonder is there any other way to reset my Vista boot up resolution back to 1024x768....

Totally Lost... Sad

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:31 AM
  •  

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Please ignore my previous reply....  Your method works!

Thanks a zillion...

Cheers...

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:52 AM
  • Eric

Your welcome, very glad this helped.

Enjoy the view.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:07 PM