none
Exclude certain folders from long-term protection RRS feed

• Question

• We have a fileserver that has a few very large folders on a DPM 2016 protected volume that i want to exclude from long-term protection. I do want shot-term protection for those folders. Is there any way to do this?

It seems i can only do short-term AND long-term protection of the entire volumes and can exlude the folders for both. The folders are on the same volume as other files and i cannot really change that. With DPM i can't have folders on the same volume in different protection groups.

Example:

I want to somehow exclude the folder "SUPER HUGE FILES" from long-term protection.

Department A

Department B

Normal Files

SUPER HUGE FILES

more normal files

Department C

Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As noted, there is no provision for excluding folders from long term protection.  The best you can do is move that folder to a separate volume and only use short term protection.  You can use a volume mount point if that directory needs to remain in the same name space (drive letter). 

Example

D: volume1 (root)
      Dept-A
      Dept-B
          Dir1
          Huge_dir  <--- Mount_point  --->  Volume2
          Dir2
      Dept-C

You can then protect Volume1 in PG1 with st+lt protection and volume2 in PG2 with only st protection.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 9, 2016 12:11 AM