Windows 10 (enterprise) - support of CSV (Cluster Shared Volume) - Allow multiple connection at same time at Synology NAS - LUN RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an iSCSI LUN and iSCSI Target on a NAS-server (Synology DS415+) with "Allow multiple sessions from one or more iSCSI initiators".  There is a warning "To avoid risk of significant data corruption, please make sure your operating in a cluster aware filesystem"

Is Windows 10 a cluster aware system? Synology ask me if Windows 10 supports Cluster Shared volume?

I have tried following
    Windows 10 I used iscsiple.exe to setup initator:
    - Connect:  "Enable multi-path"

I can connect from two different initiators, but when I create a file it is not syncronised.

Properties - MCS
    I don't know if I should add additional properties ?

Devices - MPIO (Multipath IO)
    I have open the device properties of the device associated to the target as I guess it might have to do with the MPIO policy. But the button is greyed out. Any explanations?

Jan L

Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:53 PM

All replies

• Jaleit,

According to some article about secure csv in Windows 10, I can tell you that Windows 10 does support CSV.

Since I know little about cluster, I need some consultancies from other support engineer who are expert on this and then give you further suggestions.

Thanks for your understanding.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

After discuss with related support engineer:

Here I’d like to provide some suggestions for your referene.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. From our side, we don’t recommend make the Windows 10 iscsi initiator, since we havn’t  published related articles to suppport this behaviour. The Window Server 2012 R2 is recommended.

2. We recommend upgrading the storage hardware firmware and driver to latest to avoid known issue, you can involve the hardware vendor if necessary.

3. keep the Windows Update latest to avoid known issue.

4. Meanwhile, I’d like to provide some related articles for your reference.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) Inside Out
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2013/12/02/cluster-shared-volume-csv-inside-out/

Use Cluster Shared Volumes in a Failover Cluster
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612868.aspx

How to use the iSCSI Target service on Synology NAS
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Virtualization/How_to_use_the_iSCSI_Target_service_on_Synology_NAS

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 8, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Thanks for the answer.

Changing to Windows Server 2012 R2 is not working as there are no signed driver for the NIC that supports my hardware,  even though all tech specs are fulfilled.

My hardware is NUC5i7RYH with NIC Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

• Edited by Jaleit Tuesday, March 1, 2016 12:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

From the Synology interface:

Creating an iSCSI Target with "Allow multiple sessions from one or more iSCSI initiators" allow multiple servers in a Cluster (like Microsoft Hyper-V or VMware ESXi) to connect to a single LUN, which will be used as a Shared Volume for all servers.

Concerning the warning "To avoid risk of significant data corruption, please make sure your operating in a cluster aware filesystem", it's only there if you have multiple computers using the same LUN.

A Cluster Shared Volume is part of Microsoft Failover Clustering which is only available in Windows Server.
    When you create a Microsoft Cluster, all servers that will be integrated into it must have an iSCSI connection to the LUN.
    Then, when validating the Cluster, the wizard will test the available storages, check if it can be accessed by all servers simultaneously, then format it using the CSVFS format.

The only thing you can do with Windows 10 is to use the iSCSI initiator to create a connection from your computer to the LUN but if you try with multiple Windows 10 computers on the same LUN, you can have problems because you don't have a Cluster aware system.

Gerald

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:42 PM