Service Level Criteria Versus Incident Resolution Time RRS feed

• Question

• It seems as if there are two pieces of redundant information in the Service Manager Console. When creating an SLO in Administration, you can define the resolution time as a metric. The SLO will track against that defined metric and breach when appropriate. By assigning queues to this SLO you can limit the reach by certain criteria (i.e. priority)

However in incident settings, there is an option to assign a Resolution Time to each of the incident priorities. It seems this information is redundant to what can be done in the SLO.

I guess my question is in what instances are these resolution time/priorities settings in Incidents called and for what purposes is it called? I ask since the SLO breach is driven from a different set of settings input in another area of the console.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:37 PM

Answers

• the SLO which is under 'Incident Settings' > 'Resolution Time' was introduced in SM 2010 and stayed there in 2012, this is just a quick/easy way to configure the SLA(s) that ONLY related to Incident Priority with one pre-defined metric (Resolution time).
    • with SM2012, SLO (under Administration tab) has more controls through Calendar(s), Queue(s) (big range of criteria), metric(s) and can target SR class as well.

I usually configure the SLA under Administration tab (without configuring the one under Incident Settings), to avoid any SLA duplications specifically for IR Priority Queue (with metric: Resolution Time)

• Edited by Ayman Yassine Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by crawfish124 Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:31 AM

All replies

• the SLO which is under 'Incident Settings' > 'Resolution Time' was introduced in SM 2010 and stayed there in 2012, this is just a quick/easy way to configure the SLA(s) that ONLY related to Incident Priority with one pre-defined metric (Resolution time).
    • with SM2012, SLO (under Administration tab) has more controls through Calendar(s), Queue(s) (big range of criteria), metric(s) and can target SR class as well.

I usually configure the SLA under Administration tab (without configuring the one under Incident Settings), to avoid any SLA duplications specifically for IR Priority Queue (with metric: Resolution Time)

• Edited by Ayman Yassine Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by crawfish124 Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:31 AM
  • That is what I assumed was the case. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:42 AM