How can I fix missing icons, primarlily office 2007 and adobe? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and recently the icons for MS Office 2007 & Adobe Acrobat disappeared and reverted to default no associated file icon. I have seen several suggestions regarding the removal of the IconCache.db file although I cannot find this anywhere on my computer (and I yes I have made sure to show hidden and system files). I was able to do a repair of the Acrobat installation which fixed that particular problem but when I try to repair or uninstall Office 2007 it says "setup has stopped working" and then just closes down. Unfortunately, I also tried a system restore and subsequently a repair install of Windows and still no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi BigStevie1973,

You can try the suggestions in the following threads and see if the issue can be resolved:

Windows 7 Shortcuts Changing to Default Icon or Disappearing All Together

Icon Problem in Windows 7

If the issue persists, please check if the Office program icons are displayed properly in the Office installation folder. For example, my Office install folder is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

If the icons display properly in this folder, right click the icon (such as OUTLOOK.EXE) and then click Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut). Or, you can just click "Pin to Start Menu" or "Pin to Taskbar".

You can rename the shortcut name once the icon issue is resolved.

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi BigStevie1973,

You can try the suggestions in the following threads and see if the issue can be resolved:

Windows 7 Shortcuts Changing to Default Icon or Disappearing All Together

Icon Problem in Windows 7

If the issue persists, please check if the Office program icons are displayed properly in the Office installation folder. For example, my Office install folder is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

If the icons display properly in this folder, right click the icon (such as OUTLOOK.EXE) and then click Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut). Or, you can just click "Pin to Start Menu" or "Pin to Taskbar".

You can rename the shortcut name once the icon issue is resolved.

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Linda,

Many thanks for your response. I have tried several of the suggestions listed in the threads above and have managed to manually repair the majority of the icons, however as this would appear to be a more widespread problem than I had first realised, do you know if there is any permanent solution to the problem as I gather it is prone to recurrence?

Regards,

Stephen

Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:53 PM
  • hi stevie the easy way to repair your microsoft office icons even if by some chance they were deleted so click start in the search bar type run then click enter when the next box opens type appwiz.cpl hit enter go down to microsoft office click it once then at the top you should see organize, uninstall, change click on change when it opens click repair once its done reboot and all your icons should be there that's it enjoy.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:14 PM