Computer freeze when ac adaptor is plugged in RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have been having problems with a couple of our computers. Since I dont know if this problem is hardware our OS specific I'll start by asking here.

The computers are quite new. We've experienced the problem with the following 2 types:

HP 6510b

Intel Core2Duo

2 GB ram

Vista Business

and

HP 6710b

Intel Core2Duo

2 GB Ram

Vista Business

This is what happens.

If we are running the computer on battery power and when the computer signals that there are 10-15% left of the battery power we plug in the AC adaptor the computer freeze. We can still move the mouse but the computer doesnt respond to any clicks etc. This goes on for about 10-15 minutes and then everything works just fine. During the time it seems and sounds like the computer are writing a lot to the hard drive (the light flashes all the time).

To theese computers we are using 2 different types of adaptors from HP and the problem occurs with both types (65 watt and 90 watt).

Since this has happend to maybe 3-4 different computers bought at different times I wonder if its related more to the OS then the software.

Any suggestion of what might be the reason for this?

Sunday, February 3, 2008 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hello Fosselius,

Thank you for posting!

According to your description, both of your HP computers are involved in hang issues when you plug in the AC adapters. Based on my experience, this is possibly a power supply or management issues. Generally, this kind of issues require troubleshooting in BIOS or hardware and the manufacturer customer service should be the best support resource.

However, I’d love to share some regular troubleshooting steps for your reference, please try them before contacting HP:

1.    Update all the drivers for the two computers, especially BIOS.

Note: Based on my search on HP support website, some important drivers including motherboard and BIOS are not provided. You may firstly update the driver for HP 6710b from the following page:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3356622&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3356620&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2096

2.    Enter BIOS and check if AHCI support is enabled.

Note: If you don’t have enough experience in BIOS, please skip this step.

3.    Check this issue in other place if possible, as the power supply may differ depending on locations.

Hope it helps! If the steps above don’t make any difference, please contact HP for further support. Thank you for your cooperation!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 5:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Fosselius,

Thank you for posting!

According to your description, both of your HP computers are involved in hang issues when you plug in the AC adapters. Based on my experience, this is possibly a power supply or management issues. Generally, this kind of issues require troubleshooting in BIOS or hardware and the manufacturer customer service should be the best support resource.

However, I’d love to share some regular troubleshooting steps for your reference, please try them before contacting HP:

1.    Update all the drivers for the two computers, especially BIOS.

Note: Based on my search on HP support website, some important drivers including motherboard and BIOS are not provided. You may firstly update the driver for HP 6710b from the following page:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3356622&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3356620&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2096

2.    Enter BIOS and check if AHCI support is enabled.

Note: If you don’t have enough experience in BIOS, please skip this step.

3.    Check this issue in other place if possible, as the power supply may differ depending on locations.

Hope it helps! If the steps above don’t make any difference, please contact HP for further support. Thank you for your cooperation!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Hi Fosselius:

Were you able to solve the problem? I'm currently in the same position and would like to know what you did/what worked?

-Chirag
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:02 AM
  • maybe some wrong with your ac adaptor or your computer laptop

good luck.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:24 AM