Sharepoint 2007 and Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hupefully this is a simple question by someone in the know.

- Context - inheritance turned off

=> Can joe say be given access to a sub site, without needing access (even read) to the sites above?

(i understand if he navigated top down, he would have an issue, but if he is given the full url, can he access the sub site? without needing permissions above)

=> Is there any difference in behaviour between a sub site and a document library say? in the context of permissions, i guess the are treated the same permission wise

=> In a subsite, were permissions have been inherited, can you adjust someones access up / down, or does permissions overall need to be stopped being inherited? before you can do this ?

Thanks!!

p.s. i am guessing 2010 has the same logic?

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:23 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can give joe access to a subsite without giving him read access to the parent site.  This is done when the system automatically gives joe LimitedAccess to the parent locations when you give joe rights to the child.  Limited Access doesn't give joe any rights to the contents of the parent locations, it just gives him the right to go through them to get to the child.  This is done by the system automatically and you don't need to assign any specific permissions.  It also operates whether you've broken inheritance or not. 

No particular difference in this aspect to whether its a site or list/library.

After breaking inheritance you can adjust permissions in the subsite up or down without re-inheriting.  Just be careful re-establishing inheritance in intervening levels.  Re-establishing/breaking inheritance in a parent site can have an effect on the child.  Its always best to break inheritance from the top down and re-establish it from the bottom up.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Monday, December 3, 2012 1:08 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can give joe access to a subsite without giving him read access to the parent site.  This is done when the system automatically gives joe LimitedAccess to the parent locations when you give joe rights to the child.  Limited Access doesn't give joe any rights to the contents of the parent locations, it just gives him the right to go through them to get to the child.  This is done by the system automatically and you don't need to assign any specific permissions.  It also operates whether you've broken inheritance or not. 

No particular difference in this aspect to whether its a site or list/library.

After breaking inheritance you can adjust permissions in the subsite up or down without re-inheriting.  Just be careful re-establishing inheritance in intervening levels.  Re-establishing/breaking inheritance in a parent site can have an effect on the child.  Its always best to break inheritance from the top down and re-establish it from the bottom up.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Monday, December 3, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Thanks Paul!!

And your warning, so true....

I ran foul of the inheritance issue last night, the background to these questions. I accidential broken inheritence (wrong tab) with the top sight (ok) then re-established to fix from the top. Thus i lost all granulation which was previously below...

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:58 PM