Unable to discover Win2012 Exchange 2010 Servers in SCOM 2007R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed SCOM 2012 agents on Windows 2012 servers running Exchange 2010. We are running SCOM 2007 R2. The agents are healthy and I only want to monitor the Exchange on these servers, I do not care for monitoring the OS. I do not have the Windows 2012 Operating management packs imported. No Exchange component is detected (not even an empty green circle) in the console.

I was wondering if it is a necessity for me to import the OS management pack to discover Exchange 2010? I would like to keep big changes to a minimum as it is a shared environment. 

Extra info: The Operations Manager event log of one of the exchange servers shows this message for many various event IDs. Can anybody give some friendly advice? 

The description for Event ID 21024 from source OpsMgr Connector cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi There,

As of i see the Exchange 2010 management pack does not have any OS management pack dependancy. It is only dependent on the SCOM Core MP's.

Can you check if the Microsoft Exchange correlation service is running?

Also is Agent proxy enabled on the Exchange 2010 Agent ?

Also is the Agent action account local or domain ? 

What is the SCOM 2007 R2 Version / CU ?

What is the Exchange 2010 MP Version you have imported ?

What is the status of the Agent in the Exchange 2010 Dashboard ?

Post me the results.

Gautam.75801

Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

The correlation engine is running on another management server

The agent proxy are enable

A local system account is being used

Running SCOM 2007 R2 Update 7

Exchange 2010 v 14.0.650.8. This made me realize, we do not have the latest version MP, could this be the problem?

The servers do not appear in the in the Exchange dashboards.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Hi There,

So the Exchange correlation service has to be installed and running on All the Management servers.

Also is the agent reporting to the MS where correlation service is not installed ? If Yes then change the MS to the one where the correlation engine is running.

Also which version of Exchange 2010 are you running ? I see there are MP's released with latest versions where it supports Exchange 2010 SP3. So if you are using Exchange 2010 SP3 You have to update to the latest MP.

Also what roles in Exchange does your 2012 R2 Exchange server play ?

Gautam.75801

Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:19 PM
  • Hi

The correlation engine should only be running on one management server - ideally the root management server emulator.Some useful links for configuring below:

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/opsmgr-2007-r2-by-example-the-exchange-2010-mp/

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/monitoring-exchange-2010-opsmgr-2007-r2-part1.html

Specific support guidance:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2592561?wa=wsignin1.0

Regards

Graham

Friday, June 26, 2015 6:59 AM
  • The Correlation engine is running off another MS due to performance issues on the RMS. 

The Exchange 2010s have SP3. 

It appears that my issue lays with my outdated version of the Exchange 2010 MP. I will not be able to test it until next week. I will keep you posted. Thank you

Friday, June 26, 2015 10:49 PM
  • I played around with quite a few things but the trigger that actually caused Exchange to be discovered was importing the Windows 2012 MPs which I did not have before. Thank you all.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:31 PM