none
Exchange 2003 (standard on SBS 2003): corrupt priv1.stm file RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I'm experiencing troubles on a SBS 2003 server: the server hangs on reboot, but when I put Exchange Information Store'service to 'manual' the server boots normally. Also, Exchange Information Store service can be started and all users can connect to their mailboxes (and are not reporting issues / missing mail).

This started after a recovered / rebuild harddisk in a RAID1-configuration.

Also - and this is really troubling-, the server hangs at night when it's backing up Exchange (through NTBackup). In the logs I see that priv1.edb is backupped, but for the priv1.stm file I do only see an event that says it started backing up this file. Than the server hangs and after a reboot, there are no other events (so it hangs on this corrupt priv1.stm file I think).

I've run a few UESUTILS: /k (checksum) both .edb and .stm are OK. /g: it says priv1.stm is corrupt.

I'm sorry to say I do not have a valid backup: the last backup I think is valid is 4 days old (toke me this long to figure out what was wrong...).

What's the best way to go about? I'd like to create a second storage group / mailbox store and move boxes to that new stor, but that's not possible with SBS 2003 / Exchange standard.

How do I best restore / recreate the .stm file, while keeping dataloss as small ass possible?

Any help / tips would be greatly appriciated.

Kind regards,

Marco Visser

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Marco,

Have you tried the above cmdlet?

If the state is clean shutdown when you run the ESEUTIL/mh cmdlet but the issue persists, you can try to export that user's data to a .pst file and then recreate a priv1.stm.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Marco,

From your problem description, I recommend you to run eseutil/mh cmdlet to check the state of the database.

If the state is in clean shutdown, you can move all the log files from the Transaction logs folder location and then mount the stores. If the database is in dirty shutdown, I recommend you to use eseutil/ml to check the log files.

If the log files are healthy, please use esutil/r to repair your database. If the log files are unhealthy, please run eseutil/p.

Hope it helps. If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hello Amy,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been running some tests on a copy of the data store:

• Both databases (.edb and .stm): ESUTIL /k : both OK);
    • Both databases (.edb and .stm): ESEUTIL /mh both in clean shutdown state;
    • priv1.edb seems to be OK (ESEUTIL /g : no problems, did also an offline defrag /d: finished succesfully with no further remarks);
    • priv1.stm is not OK : ESEUTIL /g results "Operation terminated with error -1206 (JET_errDatabaseCorrupted, Non database file or corrupted db) after 5.0 seconds.". Also ESEUTIL /P and ESEUTIL /R: operation terminated, non databasefile or corrupted db.

Could it be that it's not logical corruption, but physical corruption (because of the drive error and RAID rebuild)? What would be the best way forward:

• Trying to fix with ISINTEG?
    • Drop the corrupted priv1.stm and create a new (empty) one?

About dropping the priv1.stm I'm a bit uncertain about what my users will be loosing. There's a lot of info on .stm files, but it isn't all consistant to me. I read that there's mostly multimedia data in the .stm (audio and video?); I also read that the .edb holds all data in MAPI and the .stm holds all data in internet native format (MIME).

By my knowledge, all but one user use MAPI-clients (to check this I stopped IMAP and POP services 2 days ago and got one call, from that user). MAPI clients would be Outlook and iPhone / iPad.

Could I export this one user's data to a .pst file and then recreate empty priv1.stm?

If I would do this, what would other users loose? Sometimes I read all attachments are in the .stm; I also read that only attachment that where send out by OWA users would be in the .stm.

*Edit* Just one other remark: the original database still mounts with no problems. Only issue is backup crashes on backing up priv1.stm (and also on boot the Information Store service hangs). Although the server is operational, this offcourse is not a sound situation, so I need to fix it. I'm backing up every night the MDBDATA files manually (after unmounting the store and stopping the Information Store service).*Edit*

Thanks for your help & kind regards,

Marco Visser

• Edited by Marcovis Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:49 AM Just one other remark
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi Marco,

Have you tried the above cmdlet?

If the state is clean shutdown when you run the ESEUTIL/mh cmdlet but the issue persists, you can try to export that user's data to a .pst file and then recreate a priv1.stm.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:06 AM