none
HELP - Can't disconnect mapped drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a mapped drive successfully for many months but today, suddenly it was no longer accessible. I disconnected it with the intention to re-mapping it to fix the problem.

However, even after disconnecting it, the drive is still visible in explorer. It has a red cross against it and has been renamed as 'disconnected drive'. When checking in cmd.exe using net use, the drive is no longer shown as connected - but is still listed in explorer. And, what's even stranger, even with the drive showing as disconnected, when clicking on the icon, the drive opens correctly and shows the contents of the network drive. However, programs using data stored on this drive can no longer access it.

When trying to re-map it again, the drive letter is no longer available in the alphabetical list as it it still showing in explorer.

How can I completely remove this 'disconnected' drive from explorer so that it can be re-mapped? Rebooting didn't help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Edited by Florian_uk Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:34 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Florian_uk,

According to your description, the disconnected drive is still appear in the Explorer. Please open Task Manager and kill the explorer process, then go to File > New Task (run) and type explorer. After that Press “Win + R” and type “regedit.exe” in the search box, then find “HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\mountPoints2” to delete the suspect entries. Then reboot to check it.

We may need to make persistent connection for mapping drive to see if your issue will happen again.

The link below is about how to use the command to control persistent net connections.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490717.aspx

In addition, you may have to uncheck power save mode for your network card.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Florian_uk Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Florian_uk,

According to your description, the disconnected drive is still appear in the Explorer. Please open Task Manager and kill the explorer process, then go to File > New Task (run) and type explorer. After that Press “Win + R” and type “regedit.exe” in the search box, then find “HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\mountPoints2” to delete the suspect entries. Then reboot to check it.

We may need to make persistent connection for mapping drive to see if your issue will happen again.

The link below is about how to use the command to control persistent net connections.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490717.aspx

In addition, you may have to uncheck power save mode for your network card.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Florian_uk Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Hi Carl and thanks for your reply.

I followed your instructions and deleted the disconnected network drive showing under “HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\mountPoints2”

but was still showing in Explorer after the reboot. I then rechecked the registry and it had re-added itself back in the above section. I tried it a couple of times just to make sure and it kept happening. Very strange. I did look at 'net use' and the drive was no longer listed but still showing in the registry and in explorer. I then checked the key called 'Map Network Drive MRU and the rogue drive was also shown there. I ten completely cleared our this section as well as the mountPoints2 key and rebooted and bingo, the rogue drive has now disappeared from explorer.

I've successfully re-mapped it and all is now well. Too be honest, I was prepared to completely wipe my machine and start again as without this mapped drive I would'nt have been able to run my accounts system, so I went a little gang-ho with my registry key deleting but somehow it has worked without bricking my system. Not very scientific but hey, you win some, you lose some.

As for Windows secretly updating itself TWICE to Win10 on two separate occasions last week when asked not do this is a separate story....

Thanks again Carl for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:43 PM