WD Data Lifeguard Tools Compatibility Concern RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I initially attempted to install WD (Western Digital) Data Lifeguard Tools on my PC - Windows 7 RC Build 7100 - the program said it was only compatible up through 2000/XP. After this failed install, W7 prompted me to install in compatibility mode, which appeared to work just fine.

In running the backup utility (ghosting the contents of my drive to my removable prior to installing software I think will be REALLY incompatible), I noticed the following:
    The progress indicator for the program showed system folders like this "c:\documents and settings\username\appdata\local\application data [repeat application data x7] then the actual app folders"

I'm enclosing a screenshot of the program as it was displaying the redundant (and imaginary) filepath. http://twitpic.com/eqknv

After some hunting around, I found out why I could not find these multiple instances of "application data" using the file browser, because they don't really exist.

Application Data is not an actual folder, it is a Junction which is only there for backward compatibility. A Junction is a shortcut that redirects files and programs to a different location.
    It did in fact write the backup folders with the "application data" redundancy in place.

I also noticed that after the power cord had gotten kicked out from my backup drive (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!), the Lifeguard Tools backup program continued to merrily chug along as if it was still copying files somewhere, when it in fact could not.

So as compatible programs go, this one gets a 0 out of 5 stars.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:39 PM