Writing SQL query in BCS RRS feed

Answers

• Kishore,

I've used a 3rd party shareware add on to simply enter my query to connect a SharePoint 2007 list to external data: 

http://www.layer2.de/en/products/Pages/SharePoint-Business-Data-List-Connector.aspx

See the video on page. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Frank

• Marked as answer by Kishorekv Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:03 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Hi Kishore,

In SharePoint 2010 you may also correct BDC Model file (XML file) manually and modify SQL query in it. You may export deployed BDC Model either via SharePoint designer or through Central Administration. After that you will be able to modify XML BDC Model file and import it again as you did in SharePoint 2007.

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts | Lightning Tools Blog

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:12 AM

All replies

• Kishore,

I've used a 3rd party shareware add on to simply enter my query to connect a SharePoint 2007 list to external data: 

http://www.layer2.de/en/products/Pages/SharePoint-Business-Data-List-Connector.aspx

See the video on page. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Frank

• Marked as answer by Kishorekv Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:03 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing nice video. Can you please guide me how to add the filters to filter the data. Can you also tell me is there anyother way without using the 3rd party tool?

Thanks and regards,

Kishore

Kishore

• Edited by Kishorekv Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:10 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Kishore,

You can filter on different levels with BDLC. First you can filter directly in the SQL query, e.g. using a "where" expression. Finally you can filter using views in SharePoint for your list data, web parts for dynamic filters. So you have all native list features available...

Thanks, Frank 

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Hi Kishore,

In SharePoint 2010 you may also correct BDC Model file (XML file) manually and modify SQL query in it. You may export deployed BDC Model either via SharePoint designer or through Central Administration. After that you will be able to modify XML BDC Model file and import it again as you did in SharePoint 2007.

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts | Lightning Tools Blog

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your answer. Is there any way other than this. We want personalization also. So can you please guide me.

Thanks

Kishore

Kishore

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Hi Kishore,

The way to do an import and export? An export you my do via SharePoint designer. You should right click on the external content type and export the BDC Model.

Dmitry

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:08 PM