locked
SQL MP - Not all databases discovered RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi everyone,

    I'm having an issue with SQL monitoring.

    All my SQL servers are discovered properly as well as every of their instances ("database engines"), but then some of the databases are missing... I do have some databases for every instance, but some other databases from these instances are not discovered.

    SCOM Agent running on Local System account, "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" login with sysadmin role on every instance, SQL 2008 R2 servers (the issue seems to be only for the clustered ones, but I'm not 100% sure)

    I've also tried using a domain account with full access to SQL servers as the run-as account for SQL discovery and monitoring profiles but it didn't help.

    There are no specific error on the event log.

    Any help appricated!

    Thanks,



    • Edited by CyrAz Monday, July 15, 2013 2:07 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 2:00 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    I think you also need to check the cluster MP and ensure it is up-to-date. As there are some related errors, please let us know details.

    Thanks.

    Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi make sure that for both the Cluster MP and SQL MP you specify runas profiles accounts. Best to use domain accounts there. As long as they have the rights in windows and SQL. It should first be successful on the cluster discovery pieces.

    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 + 2013 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 6:44 AM

All replies

  • There are no specific error on the event log.

    What event logs do you check? Operations Manager?

    for example try to restart HealthService on sql server and see once again if there is any error when it tries to discover sql DBs

    also check DNS related issues - http://www.networksteve.com/enterprise/topic.php?TopicId=26490

    Monday, July 15, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Hi CyrAz,

    I had almost the same problem, when SCOM showed deleted databases for a few servers and in healthy state :) . Restart of Health Service and reinstallation of agents didn't help. Agents were uninstalled, servers' records were deleted from DB manually, agents installed - it helped.


    NewSCOMer Natalya

    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:39 AM
  • I of course have already tried restarting the agents and clearing their cache but it didn't help, and there is absolutely no DNS issue.

    I was also thinking of totally clearing my DB of these SQL servers and their instances and databases using the remove-scomdisabledclassinstance cmdlet and see if they get discovered again, I'll let you know if it works.


    I'm also wondering if it could be related to a problem with cluster discoveries, as I've just noticed a few vbs cluster-related errors on the opsmgr log. By the way, I think I can confirm that SQL database discovery works for non-clustered SQL servers, I've tried adding a new database on one of these server and it got discovered quickly.
    • Edited by CyrAz Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:59 AM more info
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

    I think you also need to check the cluster MP and ensure it is up-to-date. As there are some related errors, please let us know details.

    Thanks.

    Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi make sure that for both the Cluster MP and SQL MP you specify runas profiles accounts. Best to use domain accounts there. As long as they have the rights in windows and SQL. It should first be successful on the cluster discovery pieces.

    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 + 2013 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2013 6:44 AM