none
Files created in Project 2007 are opened in Project 2010 but show incorrect start/end dates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a mixed environment running Project 2003, 2007, 2010 both Pro (without servers) and Standard.

Here is the problem:

One department that uses both 2007 & 2010 has created a file in Project 2007 that is saved and uploaded to a SharePoint site.  Another user opens the file from the SharePoint site using Project 2010.  When she looks at the start and end dates, some of them are incorrect but not all.

The file is so big that it would be impossible for them to manually go through and find out what dates are incorrect and there is no guarantee that changing the date would even work.

I've had them compare all the settings in the 2 versions to make sure they are the same and they are.

I don't use Project myself, but unfortunately, I have to resolve the issue, so I can provide very little information without having to go to the customer having the problem.

Does anyone know if there is a hotfix that would address this type of issue?  I've tried searching TechNet but haven't found this issue posted anywhere.

Any help on this would be very appreciated.

Laura C

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:51 PM

All replies

• Laura,

You, or your customer, has a tall order to work among multiple versions of Project. It is not the recommended approach. The best scenario is for everyone to have the same version, however I sense that isn't in the cards.

The best recommendation, (aside from that above), it is make sure each user's version of Project has the latest service pack update installed. For Project 2007 its SP3. For Project 2010, its SP1. You can download the updates at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.

If everyone does NOT have the updates, install them. That may just solve the problem.

John

Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Hello,

If you see incorrect dates in Project 2010 client, check the levelling options in the Resource tab in ribbon. If the levelling calculations is set to Automatic, change it to Manual. Your dates should be correct then.

Manos

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Hi John,

I agree totally, although at this point it's out of my hands.  We are working towards having only 2010 in the environment, but it's not easy in a company this size, ~100,000.

I can tell you that 2010 is running on the latest, SP1...2007 is on SP2 as we didn't release SP3 for 2007.  We never even had the Office Suite 2007 installed in our environment.

I'll check her setting as Manos suggested.  If that doesn't fix it, I'll try updating the SP for 2007.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Laura

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Laura,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. For reference SP2 for Project 2007 doesn't cut it. It you want reasonably sooth integration between Project 2007 and Project 2010 you NEED SP3 installed regardless of whether you are using resource leveling or not.

John

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Hello Laura,

How is your progress so far ? I guess the following threads are of the same issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/ms-project-2010-open-ms-project-2007-file-and/1005a6bb-c8d2-4356-aa38-3aea9976b256

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/projectprofessional2010general/thread/332a00dd-42be-4d73-a082-ef0cc0f0fee7

If you can send me Project 2007 file and a Project 2007 file opened with and saved to the file format of Project 2010, I'll try to find out what is going on with the dates (projectuser[at]fastmail.fm). 

Regards. 

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:16 PM Added link
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Hi Laura,

I have experienced a similar issue with changing dates.

I fixed it by opening the large project plan in Project 2007 and then pressing F9 multiple times till the start and finish dates did not change. Then saved the mpp and uploaded it to sharepoint site. Opening the plan in Project 2010, the task dates did not change.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Laura, there's lots of good advice from the other responders.

A couple of quick things I would check - you will need to use 2 PCs side by side:

• See if you/the users can isolate at least one instance of a changed date and drill in to see the cause. Start with a summary task that shows a difference between the two versions, then expand it until you find the detailed task that shows the difference. In 2007 and 2010 you can use task inspector to explain the start dates of tasks.
    • You mentioned that you had checked the settings. I presume this includes things like length of work day, etc. How about calendars? In stand-alone Project it's unlikely but possible that the users have been amending the non-working day exceptions (holidays) but it's worth a look.

Graham

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:54 PM