ADFS 3.0 single installation completely crashed. How to start recovery? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had adfs 3.0 as a single installation in my forest and it suddenly crashed. I have used ADFS for purpose of authentication and Internet facing CRM 2015. I tried to install ADFS on new Server and create new forest but it did not work. Any suggestions on how to proceed with installing/recovery new ADFS server in the same forest?

Regards,

Selman

MCSA, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:32 PM

Answers

• The forest is a not an ADFS concept it is a ADDS concept. You can install as many ADFS farm within the same forest. You need to install an SSL certificate valid for the FQDN of your ADFS farm prior running the wizard for ADFS and you have to select it during the installation.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:15 PM

All replies

• Do you have a backup of the previous installation? If not, you can rebuild your farm from scratch. You can use the same forest, same name, same farm, same service account (actually if you use the same name it is better for you to use the same service account to avoid duplicate SPN).

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:39 PM
  • Hi Pierre,

No unfortunately I do not have a copy of the backup. I tried to install ADFS on new Server and create new forest but it did not work and the message that I receive is "The federation service name does not match any of the subject names found in the certificate. The same massage I receive even when I changed certificate for new forest. And yes I did use the same service account but I could not go further then selecting certificate which throws the above error.

MCSA, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:11 PM
  • The forest is a not an ADFS concept it is a ADDS concept. You can install as many ADFS farm within the same forest. You need to install an SSL certificate valid for the FQDN of your ADFS farm prior running the wizard for ADFS and you have to select it during the installation.

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:15 PM