Network icon does not appear on desktop after icon checked in desktop icons RRS feed

• Question

• I have a instance of Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit running in VMWare Workstation 10.  I have checked the Computer and Network icons for them to show on the desktop.  Computer shows but Network icon does not.  The instance is on our internal network and domain, and all windows firewalls are turned off.  I have a second Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit that is also running on VMWare Workstation 10, and the network icon does show up on the desktop.  32-bit user logged on is an administrator, 64-bit user is not an administrator.  Network adapter in VMWare on both is bridged (so I can give them static IP's for testing).  32-bit box is currently dhcp, 64-bit box is static.  Just wondering why I can't get network icon to show on 32-bit box.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Right click on Task Bar> Properties> Customize on Notification area> Choose "Show icon and notifications" behaviors for Network> OK

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by 暁北 Friday, April 4, 2014 2:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, April 14, 2014 2:47 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Right click on Task Bar> Properties> Customize on Notification area> Choose "Show icon and notifications" behaviors for Network> OK

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by 暁北 Friday, April 4, 2014 2:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, April 14, 2014 2:47 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 1:59 AM
  • Andy, you didn't answer the question that coaMBaker had asked in this thread. It was said in the comment " I have checked the Computer and Network icons for them to showon the desktop". You referred your answer to the notifications area.

I have pretty much the same issue as the individual that asked the original question except I have 64-bit Win 7 Professional. I have (besides the self placed icons) the trash can and recycle bin icons only. I have checked everything under Change Desktop Icons after right clicking the desktop and selecting personalize. If I uncheck trash can and control panel and they go away and in turn when they are re-checked they reappear. But, the Computer, User's Files, and Network icon's do not appear on the desktop. I have looked into gpedit.msc and nothing is set to disable the icons.

I am running an HP laptop connected to a docking station that supports up to three monitors (only two used though).

Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:45 PM