none
Exchange 2010/2013 DAG database design - Multi-tenant RRS feed

• Question

• We are reaching our limits for iSCSI database storage and I'm trying to assess how to implement multiple databases within a DAG.

The idea would be to setup a database in the DAG for each client, but how would you designate that new users would be added to the respective database.  cmdline is no problem, but the client must be able to utilise the ECP to add users themselves.

Our current environment is configured as: 3 DAG servers; 2 CAS; 3 AD; 1 FSW (All win2k8 servers with Exchange 2010)

I am not avoiding upgrading to 2013 but want to implement the new storage plan on the existing environment before I introduce other anomalies.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

John Ryan Lee
    johnryanlee.com
    ripley.za.net

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For "how the user would then create his own mail accounts because how could we lock the client into a specific mailbox database", from my understanding, you want to know how to create a outlook profile when you specify mailbox database for your user.

If I have misunderstood your concern, please free let me know.

When we create a outlook profile, the outlook profile will update automatically via Autodiscover service. We need not to specify the mailbox database.

For "how can we have our mailbox databases load-balanced across the servers or is this not possible within a single DAG", I recommend you create a new DAG and add mailbox databases to it.

A DAG is a set of up to 16 Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Mailbox servers that provides automatic, database-level recovery from a database, server, or network failure.

More information for your reference.

Managing Database Availability Groups

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298065(v=exchg.150).aspx

High Availability and Site Resilience

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638121(v=exchg.141).aspx

Best regards,
    Belinda

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to troubleshoot the issue more efficiently, please take your time to collect the following things at your earlist convenience.

1. Could you post the cmdlet you have run here?

2. Could you please provide a more description of the issue for my further research?

Best regards,
    Belinda

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Hi Belinda,

1. There is no cmdlet run, this is a functionality request
    2. We have 1x 2TB iSCSI disk for each DAG server (3 of them).  The servers replicate the data between themselves to each one's own 2TB store.  The database is currently at 1.5TB and we have been trying to understand a better design for the Database Availability Group so we can make it easier to grow the storage requirements.

Things to note:

• It's a hosted Exchange scenario with multiple tenants/organizations
    • The clients get their own Administrator login to log into the ECP (Exchange Control Panel) and add/delete/modify their Exchange users.
    • We have considered creating individual databases within the DAG per client but we don't know how the user would then create his own mail accounts because how could we lock the client into a specific mailbox database - or we create mailbox databases for A-Z and split up by name
    • On this same topic, how can we have our mailbox databases load-balanced across the servers or is this not possible within a single DAG

John Ryan Lee
    johnryanlee.com
    ripley.za.net

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

For "how the user would then create his own mail accounts because how could we lock the client into a specific mailbox database", from my understanding, you want to know how to create a outlook profile when you specify mailbox database for your user.

If I have misunderstood your concern, please free let me know.

When we create a outlook profile, the outlook profile will update automatically via Autodiscover service. We need not to specify the mailbox database.

For "how can we have our mailbox databases load-balanced across the servers or is this not possible within a single DAG", I recommend you create a new DAG and add mailbox databases to it.

A DAG is a set of up to 16 Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Mailbox servers that provides automatic, database-level recovery from a database, server, or network failure.

More information for your reference.

Managing Database Availability Groups

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298065(v=exchg.150).aspx

High Availability and Site Resilience

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638121(v=exchg.141).aspx

Best regards,
    Belinda

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:14 PM