none
MS edge ADMX import

Question

• Hey Everyone,

Currently we have two DC one running server 2003 and the other server 2008 our clients running windows 7.

Recently we purchased two laptop they came with windows 10 we would like to use windows but cant any policy changes to MS edge.

I believe I can import the ms edge ADMX file into my DC and then apply the policy changes.

Since we are still running server 2003 can I still import the ADMX file and where do I place it.

ADM file were imported under 

C:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\mydomain.com\Policies

where do I place the ADMX file ?

Thanks in Advance.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:52 PM

Answers

•  which I believe is a Central store so I should able to copy and paste AMDX files there correct ?

No, the root folder of the Central Store should be in your sysvol share, the path is:

%systemroot%\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions

“C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions” is the local copy of existing .ADMX template files. If you don't have a Central Store, then GPMC will by default read .ADMX files from "C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions", so copying Edge .ADMX files into C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions should also work for you.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by EM74 Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:39 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

.ADMX file was introduced in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. So you need to be using a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based computer in order for the Group Policy Object Editor to recognize the ADMX files.

For your case, I would suggest you created a "Central Store" in your sysvol folder for the .ADMX files, and then use the Group Policy Object Editor tool from the Windows Server 2008 DC to manage them.

The Group Policy tools will continue to recognize other earlier ADM files you have in your existing environment. For more details about "Central Store" and how to manage .ADMX files, you can refer to this article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530196.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Hey Ethan,

Thanks for your response I checked my server 2008 Dc there is already a folder under c:\windows\PolicyDefinitions and it contains ADMX files and EN-US folder which I believe is a Central store so I should able to copy and paste AMDX files there correct ?

Regards 

Ed

Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:28 AM
  •  which I believe is a Central store so I should able to copy and paste AMDX files there correct ?

No, the root folder of the Central Store should be in your sysvol share, the path is:

%systemroot%\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions

“C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions” is the local copy of existing .ADMX template files. If you don't have a Central Store, then GPMC will by default read .ADMX files from "C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions", so copying Edge .ADMX files into C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions should also work for you.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

• Marked as answer by EM74 Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:39 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hey Ethan,

I copied the ADMX file under C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions on my server 2008 DC after that I created a group policy and linked it to my test OU where my  windows 10 client is placed but for some reason it doesn't work ?

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:42 AM
  • Hi,

More details if needed.

For better tracking purpose, I would suggest we start a new thread, share more details on how exactly you configured it, and what exact policy setting you configured. Then we will take a further look at it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, January 22, 2016 6:45 AM
  • Ok

What sort of details would you like me to include in my thread ?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:26 PM