Shared Mailboxes From address RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup a shared mailbox and added the address for it in the from catogry in new emails. What I was hoping for was for the email address to automatically select the shared email address if I created a new email while in the inbox or any other folder under that shared mailbox. For example if in the payroll inbox when I create a new email the payroll email address is automatically selected to send an email and I dont have to change it from mine or if in sales mailbox then sales comes up as the default from address instead of mine.

Is this possible to set up or do they need to be full licenced mailboxes for that to happen?

PC is Windows 10 Pro, Office 2013 and 365 is where the emails are setup hence the location of this post, that and when posting in the 365 forums I was told to come here.

Thank you for any assistance you contribute.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 8:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to set the From field to Shared mailbox automatically when click the inbox or any other folder under that shared mailbox, please add this shared mailbox as second email account instead of additional mailbox.

First, please disable the AutoMapping and remove the shared mailbox from your additional mailbox list:

• Make sure that automapping is disabled for the secondary mailbox. 
    • On the File tab, click Account Settings in the Account Settings list.
    • In the Account Settings dialog box, click the E-mail tab, and then double-click your Microsoft Exchange Server account.
    • In the Change Account dialog box, click More Settings.
    • In the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    • Click the Advanced tab. In the Mailboxes section, select the secondary mailbox, and then click Remove.
    • Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the removal of the mailbox.
    • Click OK, click Next, click Finish, and then click Close.

Then, follow the steps below to add shared mailbox in your Outlook:

1. Restart Outlook.
    2. Click File > Account Settings in the Account Settings list.
    3. In the Account Settings dialog box, in the E-mail tab, click New.
    4. In Auto Account Setup dialog, fill in with the shared mailbox Name and E-mail address, keep the Password blank, click Next.
    5. If there is a window prompted for credentials to connect this shared mailbox, use your credentials (your User Name and your Password) for authentication.
    6. Click Finish to complete the shared mailbox configuration.
    7. Restart Outlook and click the shared mailbox, click New Email in Outlook and check the From field. 

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to set the From field to Shared mailbox automatically when click the inbox or any other folder under that shared mailbox, please add this shared mailbox as second email account instead of additional mailbox.

First, please disable the AutoMapping and remove the shared mailbox from your additional mailbox list:

• Make sure that automapping is disabled for the secondary mailbox. 
    • On the File tab, click Account Settings in the Account Settings list.
    • In the Account Settings dialog box, click the E-mail tab, and then double-click your Microsoft Exchange Server account.
    • In the Change Account dialog box, click More Settings.
    • In the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    • Click the Advanced tab. In the Mailboxes section, select the secondary mailbox, and then click Remove.
    • Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the removal of the mailbox.
    • Click OK, click Next, click Finish, and then click Close.

Then, follow the steps below to add shared mailbox in your Outlook:

1. Restart Outlook.
    2. Click File > Account Settings in the Account Settings list.
    3. In the Account Settings dialog box, in the E-mail tab, click New.
    4. In Auto Account Setup dialog, fill in with the shared mailbox Name and E-mail address, keep the Password blank, click Next.
    5. If there is a window prompted for credentials to connect this shared mailbox, use your credentials (your User Name and your Password) for authentication.
    6. Click Finish to complete the shared mailbox configuration.
    7. Restart Outlook and click the shared mailbox, click New Email in Outlook and check the From field. 

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates on this issue? Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Friday, August 12, 2016 9:33 AM