PreCache Content W10 Upgrade TS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I've built a TS to upgrade W10 build, and enabled precache content.

It seems that precaching works only when a WMI query is configured with locale language & architecture

My issue is that I've a lot of different locale language.

Wha'ts the best way to handle that?

Monday, April 1, 2019 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

==>Are Architecture & Language information are needed in Data Source tab of upgrade package?

Yes, there are configured by default, the value is x64 and ENU, we can change the value manually. And the value here is used to evaluate against the destination client when we don't add any WMI Query condition on the options tab in the Upgrade Operating System task sequence step (just as a default condition). 

If the values of condition here don't match the value of the clients, the clients consider that the upgrade package isn't suite for them, so the clients won't pre-cache the upgrade package.

I have done a test in my environment. Here is the result for your reference:

1. Configure the pre-cache settings and left the Data Source tab as default, don't use the WMI Query condition in the Upgrade Operating System task sequence step.

2.The client will evaluate the default condition set in the Data Source tab to be true and then pre-cache the upgrade package. 

Hope it helps. If there are any questions, please feel free to let me know. I will do my best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by gerem Friday, April 5, 2019 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi gerem,

Based on my experience, we can create different task sequence steps with individual condition for all your different languages and architectures in one task sequence group.

When the client receives the deployment policy, it starts to pre-cache the content after the deployment's available time. This content includes all referenced packages, but only the OS upgrade package that matches the architecture and language attributes on the package. As shown below:

For more detailed information, please refer to:
    Configure pre-cache content
    Configure SCCM Task sequence Pre-Cache Content – Part 1

Hope it helps. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

What I can't understand it's why check Locale language?

My OS Language is still ENU but locale depends on location. So I'll use always the same upgrade package but I still need to add additionnal steps for each location ..

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

I think there is a by-design mechanism to evaluate if the architecture and language  between the local machine and the OS upgrade package matches each other. Then the result determines if the source will pre-download. 

In the execmgr.log or CCMSDKProvider.log on the client, we may see the following entries:
    Will Pre-download source files because condition [@root\cimv2
    select * from win32_operatingsystem where osarchitecture like "%64%" and oslanguage=1033] evaluated to true.

Please refer to:
    Pre-cache content - Windows 10 OS Upgrade package download base on architecture or language #531

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 7:28 AM
  • All I can find is:

GetSWDistPolicy - Could not find the policy in WMI for advertisement P01200B3 package P010012A program * [P01200B3 * P0100083] OnPolicyActivation - Unable to find member policy. Advanced download failed: 0x87d02004 [P01200B3 * P0100083] - Unable to find a member policy. Will setup a re-activate.

Are Architecture & Language information are needed in Data Source tab of upgrade package?
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

The error 0x87d02004 means "The software distribution policy was not found."

Please make sure that you have distributed the content P01200B3 and P010012A. Or we can redistribute the content to have a try. 

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 12:05 PM
  • P010012A corresponds to the upgrade package, so OK I'll redistribute content.

But P01200B3 doesn't corresponds to anything .. The Upgrade TS Id is P0100083.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi,

==>Are Architecture & Language information are needed in Data Source tab of upgrade package?

Yes, there are configured by default, the value is x64 and ENU, we can change the value manually. And the value here is used to evaluate against the destination client when we don't add any WMI Query condition on the options tab in the Upgrade Operating System task sequence step (just as a default condition). 

If the values of condition here don't match the value of the clients, the clients consider that the upgrade package isn't suite for them, so the clients won't pre-cache the upgrade package.

I have done a test in my environment. Here is the result for your reference:

1. Configure the pre-cache settings and left the Data Source tab as default, don't use the WMI Query condition in the Upgrade Operating System task sequence step.

2.The client will evaluate the default condition set in the Data Source tab to be true and then pre-cache the upgrade package. 

Hope it helps. If there are any questions, please feel free to let me know. I will do my best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

• Marked as answer by gerem Friday, April 5, 2019 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

May we know the current status of the problem? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Actually precache works now.

Thanks a lot for your support on this.

Unfortunately, I've too much drivers integrated in my TS and so precache is just irrelevant in that case.

Friday, April 5, 2019 2:22 PM